Datastore Sync Latest

rvdk92

Nov 8, 2020
Hello,

I have setup on 2 different physical locations proxmox servers with proxmox-backup-server.

Now i have configured a sync on both datastores for each other.

Only how can i only sync the latest version of the vm?

Now he is sync all versions (7) and later with prune&gc he is delete for the backup of the backup all without the latest.

But is it possible to only sync the latest version of the vm to another datastore? that would save a lot of data transfer.

Hi,
I don't think that is possible at the moment. If you don't delete the older versions (at least until they are gone from the remote datastore, see also remove-vanished), you won't have to transfer them again. Is there such a tight space requirement/doesn't deduplication help enough?

EDIT: mention remove-vanished

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your answer, it's not so much about lack of space.

It's actually more about the servers and storage (nas) being extra busy to copy 7 versions per backup every day and then delete 6 again. this costs the servers and nas a lot of time and involves a lot of unnecessary data over our dark fiber.

This would be solved if we keep the last 7 of all VMs on the primary server and copy only the last one instead of all in the sync to the remote side.

Thank you very much for your answer, it's not so much about lack of space.

It's actually more about the servers and storage (nas) being extra busy to copy 7 versions per backup every day and then delete 6 again. this costs the servers and nas a lot of time and involves a lot of unnecessary data over our dark fiber.

This would be solved if we keep the last 7 of all VMs on the primary server and copy only the last one instead of all in the sync to the remote side.
My suggestion is to not delete 6 of them again every time, then they won't be re-transferred.

Feel free to create a feature request for it on the bugtracker.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!