[SOLVED] Data backup (ZFS) within same node

Zamana

Renowned Member
Dec 20, 2015
Hi!

My Proxmox installation has a ZFS raidz2 storage. Plugged in the host, via USB 3.0, there are a Mediasonic Probox with 4 more disks.

What's the best (or the correct) way to backup some or all the ZFS data to these disks in the enclosure, using Proxmox native resources?

Thanks.
Regards.

If this will be one time job, for VMs you can use official backup (vzdump).
pve-zsync (or zfs send | zfs receive) are also a good option, which will allow you to backup even other (root) zvols, as well as to sync only differences.
There are also other options, like rsync.

In any case, just make sure you sync a snapshot of the filesystem so it does not change while copying.

Reactions: Zamana
This won't be a one time job, because my intention is to keep both storages in sync. The VMs/Containers are already being backed up through the Backup resource in the GUI.

Previously, before started to use Proxmox, I used lsyncd on an Ubuntu 16.04 LTS for the task, and it worked fine.

I used zfs send/receive once, to migrate my data from a frustrated tentative of using FreeNas.

As you are saying, there's nothing in the GUI to acomplish this, right? It would be something to be done through script, probably scheduled to run via crontab?

Thanks.

Hi,

Backup using any usb device is not safe. But you can use this:
- use rsnapshot, and a folder inside the usb disk as repository (use do not create repository in rsnapshot)
- setup rsnapshot schedule as it will be ok for you (hourly or whatever want) to make backups (use as source anything you need, like vzdump files)
- rsnapshot have 2 nice options: pre/post backup(scripts)
- use pre backup to mount your usb disk(if the usb can not be mounted, no backup is done)
- use post backup script to unmount your usb disk and and send a mail like "hello, guletz said that your backup is done :) "
- acording with your rsnaphot backup schedule (and succes mail) you can safely unplug your super safe usb disk
- if you do not uplug the usb disk, then at the next schedule time, another backup is starting, and so on

This is all ...;)

Last edited:
Yes, USB device is not safe, but is better than nothing, at least for now, before I can upload 15TB of data to Backblaze B2 at 10Mbps. Maybe it will be ready before the sun become a red giant...

Another option would be attach the enclosure to another Proxmox node in order to use the Replication feature. I have an "Orange PI PC" and a "Raspbery Pi 3" laying around. Would Proxmox install on these cards?

Yes, USB device is not safe, but is better than nothing, at least for now, before I can upload 15TB of data to Backblaze B2 at 10Mbps. Maybe it will be ready before the sun become a red giant...

Another option would be attach the enclosure to another Proxmox node in order to use the Replication feature. I have an "Orange PI PC" and a "Raspbery Pi 3" laying around. Would Proxmox install on these cards?

I do not know what is "Orange 3.141 PC", but for sure for 3.141 3 (maybe I am wrong) is not possible. You can on rpi to atach a usb disk, but it will not make any difference.
As an ideea I see for odroid that they have a interesting board (like 3.141) who has a sata port. This could be an option maybe ...

I have an "Orange PI PC" and a "Raspbery Pi 3" laying around. Would Proxmox install on these cards?

You will not be able to install PVE on it (yet), but you can compile and use ZFS on both. It won't be fast ... I mean really not fast (a few MB/sec at most)... but it'll work.

Thanks for all replies.

I realized now that I can use Duplicati to make "local" backups. As it's already running in one of my containers, adding another "backup rule" will be trivial.

Although it's not a native Proxmox solution, it will work for my needs.

Thanks.
Regards.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!