Current proxmox drive failing, need to have my proxmox installation moved to a new drive.

Proxrob

May 16, 2022
Hi,

I would like some help moving my current proxmox installation to a new drive. All my VM's and data are currently stored on other drives either locally mounted or via NFS. I have backed up the configuration via script but im not sure if i should just:
1. Remove the HD with proxmox installed
2. Install the new HD
3. Re-install proxmox
4. Restore backed up configs

Would this process cover everything to simply have my proxmox back up and running?

Also just to be sure what exactly should I back up if the above described process is correct ?

thanks for any help on this.

regards,

hi,
I have backed up the configuration via script but im not sure if i should just:
1. Remove the HD with proxmox installed
2. Install the new HD
3. Re-install proxmox
4. Restore backed up configs

Would this process cover everything to simply have my proxmox back up and running?

Also just to be sure what exactly should I back up if the above described process is correct ?
seems okay to me.

just to be sure i would do a backup of the whole /etc/ folder as well, in case you need other configuration files.

is this a standalone node? if you're using a cluster then you'll need to do additional steps (e.g. back up all nodes and the corosync configuration as well)

If your new disk got the same size you could also use dd or clonezilla to clone the whole disk from the old to the new one.

If your new disk got the same size you could also use dd or clonezilla to clone the whole disk from the old to the new one.
Hi @Dunuin,

The new disk will probably be bigger, will this be an issue? should i partition it to the same size as the old disk before i install proxmox?

Thanks for replying so long was passed since i posted this i thought no one would reply lol...

Hi @Dunuin,

The new disk will probably be bigger, will this be an issue? should i partition it to the same size as the old disk before i install proxmox?

Thanks for replying so long was passed since i posted this i thought no one would reply lol...
Only smaller would be a problem. But if you want to make use of the additional space, without creating an additional partition, you would need to edit the partition table, extend the existing partitions and in case of LVM also extend the VGs and LVs and growing the filesystems.
In that case it might be easier and less work to just install a new PVE.

Last edited:
hi,

seems okay to me.

just to be sure i would do a backup of the whole /etc/ folder as well, in case you need other configuration files.

is this a standalone node? if you're using a cluster then you'll need to do additional steps (e.g. back up all nodes and the corosync configuration as well)

Hi thanks for the suggestion ill definitely back up /etc/ .

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!