CT backup small size

homepve

Nov 25, 2022
Hi,

I just started using Proxmox a couple of weeks ago. Main goal was to run Home Assitant OS but before that I have tried with different services under Debian LXC (storage ext4). I currently have:

1 - PiHole.
2- Wireguard.
3- Caddy.
4- Media (Radarr, Prowlarr, Sonarr, Jellyfin). Bind mount 500 GB USB HDD.
5- Uptime Kuma.
6- Homarr.
7- Ntfy sh.
8- InfluxDB + Grafana.
9- PBS + Duplicati. I know it's not the best workaround to have PBS under PVE but I don't have another machine. Bind mount 500 GB USB HDD (same as 4*). I think this is not a recommended setup but I don't have (can buy one though) a spare USB HDD, I send the backups to Mega with Duplicati.

I've run backup twice, First time snapshot mode, second time stop mode. Both times the bind mount USB HDD is not included, neither is the PBS LXC.

1.png

Even if all the CTs are Debian, so I guess they are very similar and deduplication should be good (if I've understood the docs correctly), I think the size of the copy is too small. Any advice?

By the way, I am learning a lot and thinking everyday about services to self host.

Thank you.

Actual data of the PBS backups will be stored as chunk files in the hidden ".chunks" folder of your datastore folder. So make sure to also sync that hidden ".chunks" folder.

Thank you for the quick reply! I think it's solved.

I currently have a backup of 3.21 GB. My setup has 8 CT (I don't backup the backup CT) with almost 38 GB allocated but just about 11 GB used.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!