create separate (virtual) network - debugging purposes (networking & Home Assistant)- wireshark? - HOWTO

iPanini

Mar 30, 2019
Hi folks,
A quick question:

Situation & some facts
- Ikea Tradfri Gateway (two pieces)
- for some (to me unknown) reason, it seems or seemed that my first and oldest gateway had died, or was dying
- to replace it I purchased a new one (Ikea) to only find out that the newer generation Tradfri gateway is not compatible with Home Assistant => this one has been returned to Ikea.
- searched and found a previous generation gateway that was still new and packed, bought it for little money

- Connected the newly acquired gateway, all seemed well, but after a very short while, the gateway died too.. much to my surprise
- After a lot of trial and error, I reconnected both gateways to power, but left the network disconnected...
- Much to my surprise, both stay powered on, but are of course dis-funtional due to no network connection

Now to my question:
- I'm in an early experimenting stage with Proxmox and have two old machines running proxmox
- I am thinking now of adding an extra network card (if needed) and somehow create a second (virtual) subnet
- I would then like to connect that (virtual) subnet to a small hub or switch
- and maybe then try to use WireShark to find out what happens on the subnet to find out what makes the Ikea gateways go down

I hope this makes sense.
Thanks for any help or pointer towards some tutorial that I can use to set this scenario up.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!