Create a PROXMOX iso on Debian

yonatan1346

Apr 20, 2020
Hi,
I want to create a PROXMOX iso (on Debian 10.3.0) with a number of features (I mean I don't want certain abilities and I want to add my own stuff), which after created it I can install it on a new computer like regular PROXMOX iso that you can download.
I searched on the internet and found some guides but none of them helped me. The main ones:
  1. https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/c...ntel-iommu-driver-to-remove-rmrr-check.36374/
  2. https://pve-devel.pve.proxmox.narki...eginner-trying-to-compile-proxmox-kernel-4-15
If anyone has a guide I would love to.

Thanks

hi,

I want to create a PROXMOX iso (on Debian 10.3.0) with a number of features (I mean I don't want certain abilities and I want to add my own stuff),

what do you want to remove/add? maybe the community can benefit from the ideas..

I still want my Live boot capability of the PVE installer to rescue a ZFS-based PVE. This would greatly benefit others (I created my own Debian 10 Live ISO with ZFS for everything I needed)

I second that!

I am about to set up a Proxmox server with two SSDs (enterprise grade) in ZFS RAID1 and I am concerned what I would do if something “terrible” happens to the OS. Like it won‘t boot after an update, or I accidentally messed it up while doing something stupid or things like that.

If OS and VMs are on the same HDD/SSDs it could be rather difficult to reinstall from scratch without purging the VMs. Is that even possible? Restoring the VMs from backup would mean to lose the delta between the last backup and the moment when it failed.

For the beginning I would image to have an ISO to boot from, that allows me at least to mount the (encrypted) ZFS and write the ZVols to a RAW file to a network share as a rescue measure.
Or it could even provide a feature to backup the VMs completely in their current state or the command line tools needed to export the VMs.
An option to easily repair or restore the OS from backup (for people like me, that don’t have a black belt in linuxology) would also be nice. :D

I think that would be a nice tool to have for everyone that uses a stand alone server.:)

Just use the Proxmox VE ISO in debug mode.
(see also https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Debugging_Installation)

Hi!
I just tried to boot my PVE box from the proxmox install ISO.
If I select rescue mode, it looks like it is about to boot, I am seeing a black screen for a moment but then I am back at the selection
If I select debug mode, the system boots but it seems as none of the zfs commands is available (zfs, zpool)

cheers
Michael

Hi!
I just tried to boot my PVE box from the proxmox install ISO.
If I select rescue mode, it looks like it is about to boot, I am seeing a black screen for a moment but then I am back at the selection
If I select debug mode, the system boots but it seems as none of the zfs commands is available (zfs, zpool)

cheers
Michael

you need to continue the debug installation once with "CTLRL-D" and then the zfs commands are available. Or better, do it twice and then abort the installation, so you will also get networking (if you have DHCP in your network)

Last edited:
Hi Tom

thanks for your help!!
I tried the 2 x CTRL-D and it seems as I can now access the zvols. But I still got some more questions :)

I got an IP from the DHCP server but there are no cifs-utils present to mount a share for exporting my VMs.
Any idea how to work around this?

And qemu-img command seems also not to be present. What would be the best way to export the VM or at least the zvol to an external storage?
dd from zvol to raw file?

thanks a lot
Michael

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!