CPU Questions

adamb

Famous Member
Mar 1, 2012
Hey all I have a few questions.

I currently have a KVM VM setup with the following specs

12vCPU
1000 cpu unit

I notice that the VM is running very hard, load is currently at 9. When looking at the host it doesn't seem to be breaking a sweat with a load of .2-.4. If I increase the cpu units of the VM should it help the situation. It seems the load of the VM should be reflected on the host.

I also verified that the load is coming from cpu usage. Disk usage is very minimal.

Last edited:
Set the value to 50000 in the GUI then rebooted the VM. Didn't seem to take effect. Still at 1000.

root@fiosprox1:/var/log# vzcpucheck -v
VEID CPUUNITS
-------------------------
0 1000
100 1000
Current CPU utilization: 2000
Power of the node: 4319600

Last edited:
So I take it vzcpucheck is no good for KVM even though it represents 1000 for each VM?

Looking at ps -ef | grep kvm I see this "-cpuunits 50000"

Should be good. Machine seems to be running much better.

According to the thread the cpu units available on a node is machine dependent. Is this still true? If it is true then this must be false: "Maximum value is 500000, minimal is 8". Or have I misunderstand something.

From one of my nodes:
vzcpucheck
Current CPU utilization: 4000
Power of the node: 813699

Second question: I guess the amount of cpu units assigned to a container is the guarantied minimum in that way that given free cpu units a container can be assigned more cpu units dynamically by the node?

Hey all I have a few questions.

I currently have a KVM VM setup with the following specs

12vCPU
1000 cpu unit

I notice that the VM is running very hard, load is currently at 9. When looking at the host it doesn't seem to be breaking a sweat with a load of .2-.4. If I increase the cpu units of the VM should it help the situation. It seems the load of the VM should be reflected on the host.

I also verified that the load is coming from cpu usage. Disk usage is very minimal.
Hi,
do you have 12 or more cores on the pve-server?
I have tried some time ago a VM with more vcpus than real cores which slow down the VM a lot!

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!