Copying a virtual machine onto a pc/laptop

bromhexine

Jan 20, 2021
Thank you so much for this wonderful environment that you have created. I've been reading over the thread and have been unable to find the answer. How can I backup an Ubuntu OS virtual machine onto a drive and run it as the OS of a laptop? My server unfortunately prefers sine wave ups which is out of my budget so I figured that I can just run it on a laptop which has its own backup power. Can an image be created and written to a USB and copied to the internal HDD of a laptop without the PROXMOX environment? Otherwise I think I could just install PROXMOX onto the laptop and import the machine but wondering if there is a better way. The disk size is only 32GB so I would be very thankful for any ideas. The other idea was to find some sort of backup software which keeps all the system data and settings but I am not sure which would be the best method. Thanks for any ideas.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!