Connection lost to SMB share

AidenTheBot

Jan 31, 2021
Hi

I setup a lagg group on my proxmox host with two out of 4 of my nics just to see if it would work and I did get it to work. Now I am unable to connect to my SMB share so I deleted and created a new one and the issue just keeps happening over and over again. I went and checked /mnt/pve and all of my old drive shares are still there despite the fact that they are not loaded into proxmox and being used is there a way to remove them? My last ditch effort is to make a backup of my VM's and just reinstall the OS because I am planning on just getting SSD's to replace my HDD's inside already. Also the share on my NAS is set so that this server can access it with this user.

1613964192475.png

I have a hash policy layer of 2+3 on the bond I am not sure if that is correct to use for day to day use but thats what I did

1613964303093.png

1613964431441.png

1613964470917.png

Any help would be appreciated

Does your switch support LACP 802.3ad and is configured accordingly?

Can you ping your NAS?

I see that you configured IPs in the same subnet on two NICs (vmbr0, vmbr1). Having 2 IPs in the same subnet on different interfaces can lead to weird behavior that is tricky to debug. Only use one NIC in the same subnet.

Reactions: AidenTheBot
Does your switch support LACP 802.3ad and is configured accordingly?

Can you ping your NAS?

I see that you configured IPs in the same subnet on two NICs (vmbr0, vmbr1). Having 2 IPs in the same subnet on different interfaces can lead to weird behavior that is tricky to debug. Only use one NIC in the same subnet.
Yes and my switch also supports LACP and is configured. I can ping my NAS but what I thinking is that if disconnect the the non bonded nic that might fix it.

Edit:

I have gone ahead and set bond0 to be bridge0 and bridge1 to the eno1. I can still ping my nas but on last reboot and when I have a monitor conntected to the server I get CIFS VFS: \\10.0.4.20 Cancelling wait for mid 61 cmd: 16.

I unplugged eno1 to see if the bond of eno3+4 would kick in and not go offline and they did

Last edited:
Things I would try: Disable the other NIC with an IP in the same network.

Did you change the MTU?

Can you show the contents of /etc/network/interfaces in [code][/code] tags?

Things I would try: Disable the other NIC with an IP in the same network.

Did you change the MTU?

Can you show the contents of /etc/network/interfaces in [code][/code] tags?
# network interface settings; autogenerated
# Please do NOT modify this file directly, unless you know what
# you're doing.
#
# If you want to manage parts of the network configuration manually,
# please utilize the 'source' or 'source-directory' directives to do
# so.
# PVE will preserve these directives, but will NOT read its network
# configuration from sourced files, so do not attempt to move any of
# the PVE managed interfaces into external files!

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual
mtu 9000

iface eno2 inet manual
mtu 9000

iface eno3 inet manual
mtu 9000

iface eno4 inet manual
mtu 9000

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 10.0.4.30/20
gateway 10.0.0.1
bridge-ports eno1
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
mtu 9000

Are your switch and the NAS also configured to use an MTU of 9000?
If yes, try to set it a bit lower (8000 for a start) on the machines except the switch. Might be that there is some overhead that is causing the packets to be a bit larger.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!