Connecting GCS/Google Cloud Storage to PBS!

YaseenKamala

Feb 2, 2021
Paris
Hello everybody,

Hope you all are doing well,

Here is my actual Backup infrastructure
1657878518555.png

I was wandering if it's possible to connect GCS/Google cloud storage to PBS to allow me to restore VMs if NAS fails?

Kind regards,
Kamala

Attachments

• 1657878362272.png
    1657878362272.png
    56.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
@oguz thanks for your help.

I have create a remote as you can see in the bellow photo:
1658417455271.png

but I am not sure of what I am trying to use if it's the correct way of mounting, could you please help me on that.

Code:
rclone mount remote:path/to/files /path/to/local/mount
see this link

1658419276968.png

I was able to create a datastore as well, however I don't know what is this error exactly is about:
Code:
2022/07/21 17:53:29 ERROR : .lock: WriteFileHandle: Can't open for write without O_TRUNC on existing file without --vfs-cache-mode >= writes

1658419340093.png

But how can I be sure that the data store it's really uses google cloud storage, can we check that? and I was wandering if it can be automated like what we do with fstab/crontab, because when I close the SSH session I got an error saying "unable to open chunck ... "

Last edited:
@oguz

I created a google cloud storage remote type as you can see bellow:
Name Type
==== ====
GCPbucket google cloud storage

when I try to mount a gcp bucket to PBS with the bellow command
rclone mount GCPbucket:"project_id"/my-bucket/TestOnly /mnt/GcpInfraStorage/

it looks like it worked. however when I go to PBS /GUI to create a datastore using local mount point as a backing up path which is pointed to the GCP bucket, I get the bellow error.
Bad Request (400)
unable to open chunk store 'GCPBucket' at "/mnt/GcpInfraStorage/.chunks" - No such file or directory (os error 2)

Do you know how can we check that the mount command worked?

I am even able to list what I have within the "TestOnly" floder at the PBS level.

1658842607513.png

Could you please help me on that?

Kind regards,

Last edited:
Do you know how can we check that the mount command worked?

I am even able to list what I have within the "TestOnly" floder at the PBS level.
if you go to the mountpoint like cd /mnt/GcpInfraStorage and do ls -al you should see some files from your storage there.
if it's empty then most likely it's not mounted.

if you do this:
Code:
cd /mnt/GcpInfraStorage
touch test.txt

do you see the test.txt file on google cloud?

@oguz until now I was able to create a datastore from the mounted point, however it's about 1h I have this error message.
1658926293765.png

I have checked /etc/proxmox-backup/datastore.cfg I have only one datastor there
1658926472944.png

Last edited:
I am not able to create a Datastore this is the error I got:
1659089109013.png

unable to create chunk store 'GCS-Bucket' subdir "/mnt/GCPStorage/.chunks" - EIO: I/O error,

Here is the mount point that I am trying to use:

1659089087409.png

@YaseenKamala @oguz

I'm also unable to mount local drive on PBS with Rclone:

root@pbs:~# lsblk NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT sda 8:0 0 32G 0 disk ├─sda1 8:1 0 1007K 0 part ├─sda2 8:2 0 512M 0 part └─sda3 8:3 0 31.5G 0 part ├─pbs-swap 253:0 0 3.9G 0 lvm [SWAP] └─pbs-root 253:1 0 23.8G 0 lvm / sdb 8:16 0 500G 0 disk └─sdb1 8:17 0 500G 0 part /mnt/datastore/pve-rclone-gdrive

root@pbs:~# rclone mount pve: /mnt/datastore/pve-rclone-gdrive --allow-non-empty 2022/08/06 19:33:01 Fatal error: failed to mount FUSE fs: fusermount: exec: "fusermount": executable file not found in $PATH

root@pbs:~# rclone mount pve: /mnt/datastore/pve-rclone-gdrive --allow-non-empty 2022/08/06 19:33:01 Fatal error: failed to mount FUSE fs: fusermount: exec: "fusermount": executable file not found in $PATH
you'll need to install fuse3

@oguz I gave up with rclone :), I managed with
Code:
gcsfuse
I am able to read and write into the bucket from PBS level with command line.
However I am not able to create a datastore I am getting the bellow error:
Code:
Bad Request (400)
unable to open chunk store 'GCSBucket' at "/mnt/GCSBucket/.chunks" - Permission denied (os error 13)
When I check the rights for the mount point it looks like some rights are missing compared to the Local NAS mounted point as you can see in the below screenshot:

1660296610219.png

and I am not understanding why rights are changing when I make GCS to one of the mount points. on the screenshot above "GSPStorage" has all the rights and the GCP Bucket currently is mounted to "/mnt/GCSBucket", when I change the mount point the rights are jumping by themself see the screenshot below:
1660297571134.png

Last edited:
Hello,
Could you please help me why I am getting this error:
Code:
Bad Request (400)
unable to open chunk store 'GCSBucket' at "/mnt/GCSBucket/.chunks" - Permission denied (os error 13)

Here is how I have mounted the bucket to PBS:
Code:
gcsfuse --debug_fs --debug_gcs --debug_fuse --debug_http --log-file=/mnt/output.json --log-format=json --only-dir=GCSBucket my-bucket /mnt/GCSBucket

I am able to read and write into the mounted point without any problem see bello details:
1660639215198.png

I can see the newly created folder at within the bucket at the cloud level:
1660639317222.png

I wander to know why I am not able to create a datastore which points to that mount point, cloud you please help me on that?
Thanks for your help

Last edited:
PBS requires proper file ownership and flock support on the datastore directory tree..

Reactions: YaseenKamala

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!