confusion about 'local' storage size after install from ISO

locusofself

Mar 29, 2016
Hello,

I have several nodes, all have 600gb hard drives. After installation from the ISO, my local storage on each node is 94.37 GB according to the proxmox webUI.

df -h command shows this for the "/" disk .

/dev/dm-0 95G 21G 70G 23% /

I'm confused why the installer did not just use the full disk.

My goal is to use all local storage on the nodes, and the backups run to an NFS every few days.

How should I safely extend the available place for VM local storage on each node?

Thank you,

Kevin

Some storage will be assigned as VG/LVM for the storage pools that show within Proxmox GUI.

The storage assigned to / is designed for the OS and other system files, if you view the storage TAB within Proxmox GUI you will see the storage called "local"

Some storage will be assigned as VG/LVM for the storage pools that show within Proxmox GUI.

The storage assigned to / is designed for the OS and other system files, if you view the storage TAB within Proxmox GUI you will see the storage called "local"

OK,

But the question I have is what is the recommended method for using the rest of the disk space? Perhaps it would be nice if the installer would advise of this.

The problem I have is I have ran out of space in "local" a few times because it was automatically provisioned to ~95 gb, and I didnt know it was so small. No other LVMs or whatever were created by Proxmox, so the disk space is just wasted until I make some change.

OK,

But the question I have is what is the recommended method for using the rest of the disk space? Perhaps it would be nice if the installer would advise of this.

The problem I have is I have ran out of space in "local" a few times because it was automatically provisioned to ~95 gb, and I didnt know it was so small. No other LVMs or whatever were created by Proxmox, so the disk space is just wasted until I make some change.
Hi,
you can cange the disk-layout during installation - but the standard is an "normals sized" root-partition, which make sense in most situations.

Look with "vgs" and "lvs" where your space is.
BTW. during install you can say, how much space the installer should use so you can afterward create an new partion for an filesystem on the same disk.
BUT - it's makes no sense to use the same disk for backups - this aren't backups! In case of a case you lost all.

Udo

I must have missed something during the ISO installs, but it seems as simple as:

mkfs.ext4 /dev/mapper/pve-data

then add this to /etc/fstab:

/dev/pve/data /data ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1

then mkdir /data ; mount -a

then go into proxmox webUI, add storage type "Directory" , not shared, directory = /data .

Then I have the rest of my 410 GB per system available in this new storage for VMs.

And no, I dont back up to the same disk, I backup over NFS every 2 days. I just was confused that I needed to format this space in order to use it for VMs local storage.

Thanks,

Kevin

I must have missed something during the ISO installs, but it seems as simple as:

mkfs.ext4 /dev/mapper/pve-data

then add this to /etc/fstab:

/dev/pve/data /data ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1

then mkdir /data ; mount -a

then go into proxmox webUI, add storage type "Directory" , not shared, directory = /data .

Then I have the rest of my 410 GB per system available in this new storage for VMs.

And no, I dont back up to the same disk, I backup over NFS every 2 days. I just was confused that I needed to format this space in order to use it for VMs local storage.

Thanks,

Kevin
Hi,
but the lvm-storage is made for VM-storage! You have one layer less between VM and IO-subsystem.
An filesystem is only needed for backups/iso-images (and qcow2-files...).

Udo

Hi,
but the lvm-storage is made for VM-storage! You have one layer less between VM and IO-subsystem.
An filesystem is only needed for backups/iso-images (and qcow2-files...).

Udo

Thanks UDO - but I'm still not sure what you are suggesting I should do.

Before I did the above steps (mkfs.ext4 /dev/mapper/pve-data ) , the majority of my disk space was unused but it was not mounted anywhere.

My etc /fstab just contained this:

/dev/pve/root / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/pve/swap none swap sw 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

"df -h" output would show that my "/" partition is just ~95 gb . The remaining 400 gb was not mounted anywhere ..

The device /dev/mapper/pve-data existed , but nothing was happening there..

Are you suggesting I should have create a new LVM, or resize "local" to the whole disk, or something else?

Thanks UDO - but I'm still not sure what you are suggesting I should do.

Before I did the above steps (mkfs.ext4 /dev/mapper/pve-data ) , the majority of my disk space was unused but it was not mounted anywhere.
Hi,
right - for mounting you need an filesystem - one additional layer.
If your VM use an local volume (lv) as blockdevice you don't need an filesystem between hdd and VM
My etc /fstab just contained this:

/dev/pve/root / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/pve/swap none swap sw 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

"df -h" output would show that my "/" partition is just ~95 gb . The remaining 400 gb was not mounted anywhere ..
this is the reason why I suggest in the first answer, commands, like vgs and lvs. Perhaps you should also use "man lvm".
The device /dev/mapper/pve-data existed , but nothing was happening there..

Are you suggesting I should have create a new LVM, or resize "local" to the whole disk, or something else?
Look in /etc/pve/storage.cfg - ther you find an section:
Code:
lvmthin: local-lvm
   thinpool data
   vgname pve
   content rootdir,images
This mean, you can create VMs with an hdd on the storage lvmthin. If you have done that, look with lvs again.

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!