cluster with zfs and ext4 root

kyriazis

Oct 28, 2019
Austin, TX
I have a cluster with all nodes on ext4 root.

I would like to add a few (new) nodes with zfs raid1 root. I found out that there are some issues, and I would like to know what's the best way to proceed:

- The local-lvm storage shows up with a "?" on the machine with zfs root, which is expected, since there is no LVM there
- I tried to create a local-zfs storage from Datacenter -> Storage, but I could not (there was no zfs pool listed from the menu.
- As a next step I edited /etc/pve/storage.cfg to add a zfspool entry (I grabbed the syntax from an already working standalone zfs Proxmox host not on the cluster)
- Now local-zfs appears with a "?" on all nodes except the zfs node, the same way that local-lvm appears with a "?" on the zfs node.
- I tried to migrate a LXC container from an ext4 node to the zfs node, but I got errors. I was able, however, to restore the same container from backup to the zfs node.
- I tried to delete a LXC container on an ext4 node, and I got the following error:

Code:
zfs error: cannot open 'rpool': no such pool

zfs error: cannot open 'rpool': no such pool

TASK ERROR: could not activate storage 'local-zfs', zfs error: cannot import 'rpool': no such pool available

Looks like Proxmox is trying to make sure the local-zfs storage is OK on the ext4 node even though there is no LXC/VM on it.

What's the best way to get ext4 and zfs nodes to co-exist on the same cluster?

Thank you

Have you checked the 'shared checkbox' in the datacenter view? Normally there is no problem setting a storage just on one machine.

Hi,
as @LnxBil indicated, it is possible to set node restrictions when editing the storage configuration (Datacenter > Storage > Edit > Nodes). But the shared checkbox is for something else ;), namely to tell Proxmox VE that a storage is actually the same on all nodes and not just local storages with the same configuration (some storage types like NFS are shared by default).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!