[SOLVED] Cluster Storage and Migration

Aug 13, 2021
Hi, i have create a cluster with two nodes. I have a local Storage with the name SSD-School. If i want to mirgrate a container than i think i need a storage with the same name on the secound node, or? When i try to create an the secound node a Storage with the namen SSD-School i get "storage ID 'SSD-School' already defined (500)" I'm surprised, the Name local is working but two times SSD-School on different nodes isn't supported? Something wents wrong. Mostly i went wrong. What do i wrong? I Want simply migrate a Container or VM from one node to a other

Hi, search the forum, this has already been answered a dozen times.
Basically you need to create/configure storage from CLI/Shell on the second Server.....

Hi, i hadn't found with googleseach or with the forumseach Informations that brings me forward. If there exists dozen answers please let me know where. You could see in my post that i had problems to define my problem exact, So why do you think that a seach with inaccurate information would be successful. Yes i haven't so much experience with that. If is a problem please let me know.

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay. The link that you had posted brings me not forward. This is a other situation with old mount points and so on. Storagetype is LVM. I don't understand the concept of the storages

Last edited:
you can create the same storage (e.g., an LVM thin pool, or whatever you desire) with the same settings as on the first node, but don't tick the 'add storage' checkbox - you only need one entry for a local storage existing on multiple nodes.

also, container migration with target storage support should be available soonish, then you can even use different storages on both ends as long as migrating a volume is possible:

https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pve-container.git;a=commitdiff;h=e90ddc4c6a998ee22ba217e1ef97bd3d82a12aba

Hi Fabian, thx for your help. Now i could create the LVM. If i try to migrate a VM or a LXC then i get "storage 'SSD-School' is not available on node 'pve02'" I had attached a screeshot

Attachments

• school Env.PNG
    school Env.PNG
    55.9 KB · Views: 45
thanks for the link to the source (diff) very interesting, but i'm not good enough to understand exacatliy what happens :)

Hi,
Hi Fabian, thx for your help. Now i could create the LVM. If i try to migrate a VM or a LXC then i get "storage 'SSD-School' is not available on node 'pve02'" I had attached a screeshot
what you need to do is update the storage configuration (Datacenter > Storage > SSD-School > Edit) to reflect the fact that the storage is available on pve02. You can select the Nodes when editing the storage.

Last edited:
Reactions: fabian
I can not believe it! It's that simple :) I was almost sure that it was something very simple, since everything is available in every video. I watched videos and read documentaries for hours. I thought I was too stupid... Thank you!!!!!

also, container migration with target storage support should be available soonish, then you can even use different storages on both ends as long as migrating a volume is possible:

https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pve-container.git;a=commitdiff;h=e90ddc4c6a998ee22ba217e1ef97bd3d82a12aba

Hello Fabian,

Hello Fabian, Do you know if the possibility of migrating a container by choosing the target storage is still planned? If so, is there a date?
I didn't see it in the pve-manager/7.3-3

Thank you for your work,
David

Hello Fabian,

Hello Fabian, Do you know if the possibility of migrating a container by choosing the target storage is still planned? If so, is there a date?
I didn't see it in the pve-manager/7.3-3

Thank you for your work,
David
it's there in the backend/API/CLI, but not on the GUI yet (similar to offline migration with a storage change for VMs). see "man pct"

it's there in the backend/API/CLI, but not on the GUI yet (similar to offline migration with a storage change for VMs). see "man pct"
Nice, thank's !

Code:
pct migrate ID CLUSTERNAME --target-storage STORAGE

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!