[SOLVED] Rename Storage

awado

Mar 2, 2020
Hello!

I'm testing a small proxmox cluster here. 2 nodes (pve1 and pve2) on DELL servers with lots of RAM an HDD space (no CEPH at the moment). In the setup process I made a mistake, obviously. Before joining the cluster I defined storage manually on each node: pve1-data and pve2-data. When I want to do a migration of a container, proxmox refuses, saying pve1-data cannot be found on pve2. So how can I rename existing storage and will it be sufficient for migration then?

Thanks.

Reactions: jolle
Hi.

It depends a bit on what storage we're talking about, LVM, ZFS, ...?

if one storage is yet unused on one node you could simply delete the that entry from /etc/pve/storage.cfg
and then add the respective nodename to the "nodes" property of the other used storage entry.

NOTE: That will only work if both storages can be identified the same way, else you'd need to rename the VG or ZFS pool, or whatever your storage is first to ensure they're the same.

Thanks for the details. It's a directory. Gave it a shot. But it now has a question mark on it, saying "unable to activate storage 'pve1-data' - directory is expected to be a mount point but is not mounted: '/mnt/pve/pve1-data' (500)" When I try to reformat and mount /dev/sdb1 it says "storage ID 'pve-data' already defined (500)" But where?

Okay, resolved this. There was a stale systemd mount for the old name. Edited this, so it reflects "pve1-data" and now it works. Even non-live migration. Nice!

@awado What is the stale systemd mount???
I have the same problem but I can not solve it.
If I go to /etc/pve/storage.cfg on the node that has the problem and do changes there, does it work or then I will have problems with the other node?

Edit: I had a systemd unit file with the old mount as name "/etc/systemd/system/mnt-pve-pve2\x2ddata.mount". I renamed to "/etc/systemd/system/mnt-pve-pve1\x2ddata.mount" and corrected the Where= and Description= line in it accordingly. After that I could successfully mount that and assign it in the storage section of the datacenter in GUI. (Which is just another way of modifying the storage.cfg)

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!