cloud-init making no changes on new vms

DamienAltman

Jul 7, 2019
Hi all,

I've setup Proxmox 6.1-7 and build a Centos 7 and Ubuntu server 18.04 vm. I installed cloud-init on both the vms, cleared out the vm config as recommended in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qwnXd1yRK4&list=PLT98CRl2KxKGDJbitpQQPOKE__pXlWH7U&index=6&t=101s

I then closed the vms, added a cloud-init drive in the Hardware tab, entered a username and password and added my ssh key to the cloud-init tab. Then converted the vm to a template.

From here I created a clone from the vm, entered in a machine name (hostname) selected the storage and full clone option. Once the new vm was built I start it.

Once it is booted, I have the original template hostname, the user I added does not exist and the ssh key does not exist. Basically cloud-init is doing nothing.

I have read every guide, watched every video I can find and have found nothing to indicate that there is something that I am doing wrong. I had exactly the same result on centos and the ubuntu vm.

NOTE: I am using ZFS storage for the images, cant imagine this is causing any issues. I also noticed that the permissions for every file and directory in the ZPOOL is root:root. I know with Ovirt that you need to have a kvm:vdsm owner and group permission set on the vm folders.

Is anyone able to make any suggestions as I am at a complete loss. All the guides and videos are so straight forward and just seem to work for everyone.

Cheers

Damien.

Attachments

• proxscreen.jpg
    proxscreen.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 24
hi,

what were the exact steps you followed? was it the same as our documentation explains?

I have exactly the same issue. Did you manage to sort it out?

Update*: remove / purge and reinstall cloud-init fixed it.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!