Clone fresh install to another phisical nodes, use USB as system disk

Nezdeshniy

Jan 28, 2013
Good day to all.
Interested in information, if someone did this. Within the framework of my project, the following situation arose:
In advance I want to say that my approach is unfortunately not ideal, but it is necessary to work with what is on hand.
It is necessary to deploy an average cluster power based on ibm bladecenter e equipment. The old branch of the equipment is quite old, but in general it suits the work. I use blades HS22. Accordingly, Proxmox itself will be installed on the built-in USB drive.
My first question to the community: whoever put the main OSX on USB 2.0 and what results did it get? My first installation is about two hours, and secondly there is an easy oschyuschenie that lacks performance. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Do not just advise not to use USB - normally everything flies here just the equipment is so dull. I use kingston datatraveler se9 32gb.
I think in the near future I will find the problem and correct it.
The second question is more about the developers: even if I consider that I can find the bottleneck, I will not install it from scratch every time, there is a lot of nodes. If I use Clonezilla to duplicate the source disk, which problems can wait for me? Naturally, I will make all the basic parameters of the nodes unique. Is this even possible with Proxmox?
Gentlemen, I can not use PXE and so on.

Last edited:
Logically, I found a bottleneck. For those who will encounter the problem, I will try to describe in detail.
Do not repeat my mistake, learn in more detail the specification of flash drives and their claimed and real input and output characteristics. In my case, the situation was as follows:
On the motherboard the port works according to version 2.0 and the declared speeds completely correspond to the standard and the technical description - about 22-25mb / s, but the drive itself is faster than 7mb / s does not work. Accordingly, iops has a subsidence, the best that I could see is 15.
At the same time, a standard USB flash drive with standard 3.0 gave stable 22mb / s in this port and about 100-150 iops.
A little later I will check the performance of the new drive chosen for the base OS and give the results of all the drives.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!