Clone drive from a VM to another

antipiot

Jan 26, 2019
hello everybody!

looking for help as i was not able to find an answer by myself as i'm pretty sure this had to be aske once :-/

I have a VM (ID 100) running some container on stored on a RAW drive (disk1)

I've setup a new VM (ID101)with the major update released and wanted to try docker on it:

I need to copy VM100 disk 1 to VM101 disk 1.

How may i easyilly achieve this?

Many thanks for your support

Regards

JS

I need to copy VM100 disk 1 to VM101 disk 1.
As you wrote in the title, you clone the container. First clone, then update it.

As you wrote in the title, you clone the container. First clone, then update it.
Thanks for your reply,

I may have asked my question wrong:
I'm looking to copy a drive file and add it to another VM: not a clone of the VM as it has other drives and not a backup as it can't be added to an existing VM (if im not wrong)

Thanks for your time

I'm looking to copy a drive file and add it to another VM: not a clone of the VM as it has other drives and not a backup as it can't be added to an existing VM (if im not wrong)
This is a risky and manual process. You will need to edit the vmid.conf files. Some action done through our management stack may alter the config again.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!