Hi everyone. I've noticed that my iotop is showing the following:

TID PRIO USER DISK READ DISK WRITE SWAPIN IO> COMMAND
7252 be/3 root 0.00 B/s 3.83 K/s 0.00 % 99.99 % [jbd2/loop0-8]
249 be/3 root 0.00 B/s 0.00 B/s 0.00 % 99.99 % [jbd2/md2-8]

Doing some debugging with
echo 1 > /sys/kernel/debug/tracing/events/ext4/ext4_sync_file_enter/enable

and checking file
/sys/kernel/debug/tracing/trace_pipe

I've noticed that every send there is sync for mysql and loop0 which is probably single LXC container - currently in RAW format, created through proxmox (version 4,4 - running under Debian 8).

Whole VM is terribly slow and disk i/o is causing problems. What options do I have and how to solve this? I've read on forums that some people switched from raw to chroot and that helped?

Just a side question, how is this working under Debian 9 - same raw format or you can choose? Is it still that slow?

Storage for LXC containers?
That depends on what you use as storage-plugin, e.g.:
ZFSpool - a dataset for each mountpoint (you can see the directories on the host)
* lvm(thin) - one LV (blockdevice) per pool - which gets formatted with ext4 and then mounted
* ceph - one krbd (blockdevice) - same as above
* directory (seems the one you used above) - raw image as above

see https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#pct_container_storage

Cool. I like the old way of promox 2 and 3 with openvz containers - that was working fine and never and disk I/O problems. I will check the guide, thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!