Changed vrmbr0 (network bridge) and now I cannot access my server

Enspist

Jul 16, 2023
Hi All,

I am really really dumb and I hope that I did not just completly screw my server.

I just installed a realtek NIC card so that I could pass it through and set up a pfsense VM. The only issue is that when I booted my machine after install the main connection to my server was using one of the interfaces on the NIC, not the normal NIC built into my motherboard. Looking at the network settings I see all three NICs that are supposed to be there and the ensp10 NIC was set to on however it seemed that the labling of the NICs got changed when I installed the new NIC card because ensp10 was now one of the NICs on the card not on the motherboard where it was supposed to be. I decided like the idiot I am to change the vrmbro (whatever the base linux bridge is) to use ensp7 which I thought was the motherboard NIC. I hit apply changes and then lost connection to my server. I have it plugged into a monitor to see the video out however I seem to be getting a freeze during normal boot and when I boot using recovery mode because I cannot get to the screen where it asks for my root password.

I have removed the NIC card to see if that would do anything and it hasn't. Please can someone help me because I feel really really dumb and I don't want to have to reset my server and lose all my data.

Hi Moayad,

Sorry I forgot to post a message after I fixed this.

I solved the issue by turning off virtualization and iommu in my motherboard bios and then booting into recovery mode. it allowed me to access the command line with a keyboard and monitor hooked up and then I went to /etc/network/interfaces and changed the adaptor for vmbr0 back to enp10s0 which is what it was at when it was working. I was then able to turn virtualization and iommu back on and boot my server normally.

I ended up removing the card entirely because I realized I bought a realtek nic when I wanted an intel one. that should I think solve my confusion with the network interfaces because they should be labled differently.

Reactions: Moayad

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!