Ceph Storage question

ilia987

Sep 9, 2019
I am looking for a storage solution for scratchpad (need a fast storage, shared over all the cluster,can be unreliable. the data is used only data computational tasks) and after the computation the data is deleted

currently i have the following setup:
  • proxmox cluster consist of 10 nodes
  • ceph storage ssd based (over 3 nodes, will be scaled to 5 node to increase volume and redundancy )
  • freenass storage (will be scrapped in the near future) with existing scratchpad storage (pcie-nvme, with no redundancy),
  • in the near future 5 more nodes with 60HDD will be added , to create another ceph pool for low IOPS depend and high capacity data)
what would be the best approach to make a fast scratch pad, a new ceph pull with replication 1 with 3-5 osd (pcie cards)?
or to get a dedicated server and make a raid for them ?

Last edited:
what would be the best approach to make a fast scratch pad, a new ceph pull with replication 1 with 3-5 osd (pcie cards)?
or to get a dedicated server and make a raid for them ?
Both have their dis-/advantages. NVMe will need a lot of interrupt handing. Ceph distributes that, but all nodes need enough resources to handle. While you can scale the dedicated hardware of one node on the beginning.

what is going to happen for the pool (replication 1) when one of the osd dies?
the data is not important (it just scratch\tmp ) , but it is required that the pool will up and running for future tasks

Nothing happens with the pool. The data of the dead OSD will be recovered on another OSD. Hence, 3x replica.

Nothing happens with the pool. The data of the dead OSD will be recovered on another OSD. Hence, 3x replica.
my question was on replica 1 . (not on replica 3)
i am looking for a solution for fast scalable storage where no redundancy is needed (after the task is done all the data inside no longer needed)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!