CEPH Health warnings - how to resolve?

csjjpm

Nov 11, 2021
I have configured two nodes with just one OSD each for the moment, they are 500GB NVME storage. I have some health warnings and wondered what they mean and how I should resolve them?

My nodes are 128GB RAM, 64 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6226R CPU @ 2.90GHz (2 Sockets) each. I'm on PVE 7.0-14+

1.) "Reduced data availability: 129 pgs inactive, 129 pgs peering"
2.) "175 slow ops, oldest one blocked for 44533 sec, daemons [osd.1,mon.node1] have slow ops."

On the status I have
1636703279936.png

It has been like that for about 16 hours. I don't know how long the 'working...' is supposed to go on for. I haven't created any VMs yet.

My osd setup is
1636703429598.png

thank you
Paul

Hi,
maybe you should first read how CEPH works, and what you need to make it work.
Example... by default CEPH creates 3 copies and needs at least 2 of them available to keep the pool writable.... you have 2 OSDs... the Default CRUSHMAP can not create 3 copies on 2 OSDs.... the Cluster can not stay online if one node fails... and so on.... read the manuals first pls.

Also consider consulting an IT-Service-Partner.... You have such a fat hosts, there should have been budget for consulting....

Last edited:
Thanks for the "expert" condescending response. I did read the manual and am aware of the min. You could just have said the errors are due to the min requirements not being met yet. I configured for 2 copies so I cannot create 2 copies on 2 OSDs. I need to create 2 more OSDs. Simples!?

Politeness costs nothing.

Thanks for the "expert" condescending response. I did read the manual and am aware of the min. You could just have said the errors are due to the min requirements not being met yet. I configured for 2 copies so I cannot create 2 copies on 2 OSDs. I need to create 2 more OSDs. Simples!?

Politeness costs nothing.
There was nothing condescending at all... just a recommendation... if you don't like recommendations, no problem.... no more answers from my side wanted or needed..... hope you get it running as you want....

I apologise, I mistook you telling me to read the manuals (twice) and get someone else to do it for me as condescending.

Last edited:
I have configured two nodes with just one OSD each for the moment, they are 500GB NVME storage. I have some health warnings and wondered what they mean and how I should resolve them?
This will not work, check the minimum requirements - 3 nodes.

I go with itNGO and tom and don´t understand your needs.
If it is a test cluster only, you can try playing with single host rule. That may fit your needs if you want to learn ceph.

Reactions: itNGO

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!