Ceph: CT virtual drive in both storages <pool>_ct and <pool>_vm

cmonty14

Mar 4, 2014
Hello!
After creating a pool + storage via WebUI I have created a container.

The virtual disk of this container is defined as a block device image in Ceph:
root@ld4257:~# rbd ls pve
vm-100-disk-1

However when I check content of the available storages
pve_ct
pve_vm
I can see this image vm-100-disk-1 in both.

In my understanding this makes no sense because the storage pve_ct uses a specific attribute KRBD.

Question:
Why is the virtual disk displayed in both storages pve_ct and pve_vm?

I'm sorry, but I don't get this.
The pool is obviously pve.
If pve_ct and pve_vm are pointers, then this is not a Ceph thing?

Checking the properties of storage pve_ct and pve_vm the difference is clear: pve_ct has KRBD enabled.

Does it mean PVE is creating an image with attribute KRBD for virtual disk when creating a CT and an image w/o any attribute when creating a virtual disk of a VM?

Displaying the same image in both storages pve_ct and pve_vm is very confusing, though.

If pve_ct and pve_vm are pointers, then this is not a Ceph thing?
no, its a proxmox thing. this is the basis for proxmox storage model (https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pvesm.html)

Does it mean PVE is creating an image with attribute KRBD for virtual disk when creating a CT and an image w/o any attribute when creating a virtual disk of a VM?
As you've pointed out, the data itself resides on the same ceph pool; the mounting manner has no bearing on the data itself. When you set the krbd flag to a proxmox storage pool, you're instructing proxmox to use the krbd kernel driver to mount the disk.

OK.
The storage definition is clear.
root@ld4257:# cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg
dir: local
path /var/lib/vz
content vztmpl,backup,iso

rbd: pve_vm
content images
krbd 0
pool pve

rbd: pve_ct
content rootdir
krbd 1
pool pve

However imo it's inconsistent to display a virtual disk belonging to a CT in storage <poolname>_ct and vice versa.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!