cant login in my proxmox after updated [HELP]

roycordero

Jun 25, 2022
Hello pals, I have a problem for a few days that has become uncomfortable, and it is that I have my proxmox server with several lxc and vm that has been running without problems for 1 year, but because I have been away from home for a long time, I had not updated and had the version proxmox ve 7.2-11 and 1 week ago I came home and the first thing I did was an apt update apt upgrade I update everything normally and without problems but now I get this error

brave_Vux2Pya4py.png

but obviously I have not changed the password, and in the terminal does run without problems

MobaXterm_XRcCwYPeqT.png

MobaXterm_L9F50xWK2W.png

aparently all my vm and lxc seem to be without problems too... Could someone help me figure out why this is happening please?

Any error in journal? Did you force-reload the page? Did you select the correct realm (if root, it should be pam)?

Any error in journal? Did you force-reload the page? Did you select the correct realm (if root, it should be pam)?
no error occurred during the update or after... actually it has always been very stable... the only change made was the update made on 02/06 through the web interface and at the end everything was without problems and then at the days of wanting to enter (approx since 02/20 it started) this error came out, that is why I argue that from that on it was the error

yes its PAM... but ive tried and it doesnt work in any PAM or Proxmox VE authentication server, but ive always use pam

i get the log here

https://paste.ofcode.org/9Qvve9MvJnG2rGZVDgBMFZ

Last edited:
@roycordero dont know if its relevant but try login as admin@pam (see pic below) , this could be normal not sure to be honest, but maybe try logging in with admin@pam just to see if that works. its worth a try anyway :)

screenshot.png

brave_xNXhU1h33d.png

wtf! Sorry for my language so colorful but what witchcraft is this? I have never used admin as a login, even in my bitwarden it is always saved as root and I did not change my login... but effectively instead of root I used admin and I entered without problem, I have already checked and everything seems to be correct

Could someone explain to me why I changed the root login to admin? Is it normal after an update made several months later? Or should I check passwords and security vpns etc?

I really appreciate your help man, i was kind of pulling my hair off but thanks I would never have been able to enter,

but this change worries me, especially because I don't know if it is something normal or a vulnerability of something

yeah its a weird one alright, maybe check your user account or accounts in proxmox , for example does an admin@pam one exist? maybe check is the root account enabled/disabled for example but not sure even if that is possible.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!