Cant Download Container Templates or Upload ISO's to ZFS?

BathToast

Jun 14, 2022
Hey all. Bit of a snag.

So I want to preface this with: I'm still getting into Proxmox a bit, and have made the jump from Hardware Raid through a PERC to just HBA mode and doing ZFS to leverage some of the benifits that it offers with the new server I've picked up recently.

However, trying to get set up with Containers and VMs has proven a challenge.

I've set up my ZFS Arrays (I believe these are referred to as Pools?) and am now trying to get CT Templates and ISO's uploaded to them for storage so I can begin building out my servers as needed, though it seems its not as simple as that. I presume this is because they're not directories like i used to use with RAID (as the "Local" folder is one and I can do ISO's and CT Templates), but I dont see a way to then create directories on these? What am I missing here. Did some googling around and nothing really came up, so I'm scratching my head on this one.

I tried going to Datacenter, storage, and then Add but I'm not entirely too sure what to do or what I need to do.

So, i guess the question is what do i do next. What steps do i have to take in order to store ISO's and CT Templates on ZFS, if I can at all. Otherwise I have a spare 500GB drive i can plug into the server and use as a scratch disk for such things. Though, i'm sure i'm just misunderstanding something here...

create a ZFS dataset (this is kind of like a sub-filesystem), then configure its mountpoint as "Directory" type storage (the latter can be done over the GUI, the former needs shell access).

Reactions: BathToast
create a ZFS dataset (this is kind of like a sub-filesystem), then configure its mountpoint as "Directory" type storage (the latter can be done over the GUI, the former needs shell access).
Thanks for the response Fabian, this helped set me off in the right direction.

For anyone else who stumbles upon this trying to figure this out and would like step by step on how i got this running for myself:

1) Crack open the Shell under your node and type: zfs create [pool_name]/[dataset_name] (e.g. I created a Dataset called "CT_Disk" on my "CT_Store" zPool, so this looks like zfs create CT_Store/CT_Disk

2) Once you're done doing that for all your zpools you can go to "Datacenter" on the nav menu on the left

3) Select "Storage"

4) Select "Add" and choose "Directory"

5) "ID" is the proverbial name of said directory, and the "Directory" option is what you mounted your data set as as Fabian pointed out above. So in my case from above my Directory was /CT_Store/CT_Disk and I honestly was lazy and made the ID as CT_Disk.

6) Be sure to select all content types that you need like in this case where i needed ISO storage and Container Templates. Hit add and boom. Done.

it's also a good idea probably to set "is_mountpoint" in storage.cfg (e.g., via pvesm set). that tells PVE to only treat the directory as ready when something is mounted there.

it's also a good idea probably to set "is_mountpoint" in storage.cfg (e.g., via pvesm set). that tells PVE to only treat the directory as ready when something is mounted there.
Noted, i'll take a peek and set that once my ISOs are done uploading. Thanks again

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!