Can't connect to Proxmox GUI with two Intel X550-T2 installed and set to auto start

ajtatum

Apr 20, 2023
Fairfax, VA
I had one Intel X550-T2 installed on my server and all VMs were running fine and I setup OPNSense and had it configured with the two ports from the X550 being LAN and the onboard ethernet being the WAN interface using bridges. However, for OPNSense to really replace my router, I needed more ports so I purchased another X550-T2 and put it in. Proxmox booted up fine, but after setting up the interfaces to auto start and creating the two new Linux Bridges, Proxmox's GUI became unavailable. If I take out the second X550-T2, leaving it with the original the one, I can access the GUI without any issues.

Right now, with two cards in, the /etc/network/interfaces is along the lines of the below (I can't copy and paste since it's unreachable except via HDMI)

Code:
#ethernet adapter
auto enp0s31f6
iface enp0s31f6 inet manual

#first Intel X550-T2
auto enp1s0f0
iface enp1s0f0 inet manual

auto enp1s0f1
iface enp1s0f1 inet manual

#second Intel X550-T2
auto enp2s0f0
iface enp2s0f0 inet manual

auto enp2s0f1
iface enp2s0f1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet manual
    address 192.168.195.88/29
    bridge-ports enp0s31f6
    bridge-stp off
    bridge-fd 0

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
    address 192.168.195.96/28
    gateway 192.168.195.1
    bridge-ports enp1s0f0
    bridge-stp off
    bridge-fd 0

auto vmbr2
iface vmbr2 inet manual
    address 192.168.195.112/28
    bridge-ports enp1s0f1
    bridge-stp off
    bridge-fd 0

auto vmbr3
iface vmbr3 inet manual
    bridge-ports enp2s0f0
    bridge-stp off
    bridge-fd 0

auto vmbr4
iface vmbr4 inet manual
    bridge-ports enp2s0f1
    bridge-stp off
    bridge-fd 0

I've tried assigning IP addresses to the two bridges, but that doesn't make any difference. If I boot up the machine with just the new card, it works fine... so I think it's safe to rule out the card. But I'm at a loss as to why the GUI won't pull up if both cards are on the server (which is a Dell Optiplex 7000 Small Form Factor). I am still new to Proxmox and networking, so I apologize if there's something glaringly wrong or something that I've overlooked or haven't included that could be useful.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
AJ

EDIT: My Proxmox is accessible via IP 192.168.195.96.

Last edited:
I had one Intel X550-T2 installed on my server and all VMs were running fine and I setup OPNSense and had it configured with the two ports from the X550 being LAN and the onboard ethernet being the WAN interface using bridges. However, for OPNSense to really replace my router, I needed more ports so I purchased another X550-T2 and put it in. Proxmox booted up fine, but after setting up the interfaces to auto start and creating the two new Linux Bridges, Proxmox's GUI became unavailable. If I take out the second X550-T2, leaving it with the original the one, I can access the GUI without any issues.

Right now, with two cards in, the /etc/network/interfaces is along the lines of the below (I can't copy and paste since it's unreachable except via HDMI)

Code:
#ethernet adapter
auto enp0s31f6
iface enp0s31f6 inet manual

#first Intel X550-T2
auto enp1s0f0
iface enp1s0f0 inet manual

auto enp1s0f1
iface enp1s0f1 inet manual

#second Intel X550-T2
auto enp2s0f0
iface enp2s0f0 inet manual

auto enp2s0f1
iface enp2s0f1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet manual
    address 192.168.195.88/29
    bridge-ports enp0s31f6
    bridge-stp off
    bridge-fd 0

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
    address 192.168.195.96/28
    gateway 192.168.195.1
    bridge-ports enp1s0f0
    bridge-stp off
    bridge-fd 0

auto vmbr2
iface vmbr2 inet manual
    address 192.168.195.112/28
    bridge-ports enp1s0f1
    bridge-stp off
    bridge-fd 0

auto vmbr3
iface vmbr3 inet manual
    bridge-ports enp2s0f0
    bridge-stp off
    bridge-fd 0

auto vmbr4
iface vmbr4 inet manual
    bridge-ports enp2s0f1
    bridge-stp off
    bridge-fd 0

I've tried assigning IP addresses to the two bridges, but that doesn't make any difference. If I boot up the machine with just the new card, it works fine... so I think it's safe to rule out the card. But I'm at a loss as to why the GUI won't pull up if both cards are on the server (which is a Dell Optiplex 7000 Small Form Factor). I am still new to Proxmox and networking, so I apologize if there's something glaringly wrong or something that I've overlooked or haven't included that could be useful.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
AJ

EDIT: My Proxmox is accessible via IP 192.168.195.96.
I am new to Proxmox; however, I discovered this pass weekend that the most important interface is the Proxmox's management and only that should have an IP and gateway...all others are passthrough so no need to configured...doing so could mess up things as you're experience (I did the same and felt the pain). If you have only two Ethernet ports, you might need a switch with vlans. At a minimum, you'll need three Ethernet ports if you're using a firewall VM...in my case, I have five, one for Proxmox, two for pfSense, and two extras.

Screenshot 2023-05-09 at 10.29.16 AM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: ajtatum
I am new to Proxmox; however, I discovered this pass weekend that the most important interface is the Proxmox's management and only that should have an IP and gateway...all others are passthrough so no need to configured...doing so could mess up things as you're experience (I did the same and felt the pain). If you have only two Ethernet ports, you might need a switch with vlans. At a minimum, you'll need three Ethernet ports if you're using a firewall VM...in my case, I have five, one for Proxmox, two for pfSense, and two extras.

View attachment 50183
Thanks for the tip! Since you use pfSense, what do you use for your WAN port on your server? Since I have a 1gb connection, I was planning to use the onboard Ethernet port since it's a 1gb port. From your screenshot, I can't tell what you're passing to pfSense. Basically, I was aiming to pass the 1gb port and four Ethernet ports from two X550s.

Would/should I change my interface settings so that the onboard Ethernet adapter is my management interface even if it's a WAN port? I haven't connected the WAN cable directly to Proxmox yet as I wasn't sure how that would be handled...

Thanks for the tip! Since you use pfSense, what do you use for your WAN port on your server? Since I have a 1gb connection, I was planning to use the onboard Ethernet port since it's a 1gb port. From your screenshot, I can't tell what you're passing to pfSense. Basically, I was aiming to pass the 1gb port and four Ethernet ports from two X550s.

Would/should I change my interface settings so that the onboard Ethernet adapter is my management interface even if it's a WAN port? I haven't connected the WAN cable directly to Proxmox yet as I wasn't sure how that would be handled...
Looking at my above pic, Vmbr1 is my WAN which is passed-through. I am not passing anything to pfSense except allow Proxmox management to obtain updates which routes through the pfSense firewall. So, until pfSense boots, Proxmox cannot go anywhere. Proxmox gets DNS and NTP from pfSense

As I had stated above, it's really important for Proxmox to have a dedicated Ethernet port, then, I make Proxmox's gateway pfSense LAN. I am also using a Dell Precision 3630MT and intentionally wanted a Dell that I could add an Intel i350-t4 as well as used the on-board NIC for Proxmox's management.

Your Dell Optiplex has an on-board NiC, use that for Proxmox management. I just realize that you have enough Ethernet ports with two Intel x550-t2.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!