Cannot transfer files larger than 48 kb via SFTP or SCP to Proxmox Server

IceProx

Dec 20, 2015
Hello All,

I have been using Proxmox now for quite some time and never had this problem in the past. Back in December a server failed and I had to do a fresh install on a new server and and restore my VMs. Since that time, I have not been able to transfer files larger than 48 kb via SFTP or SCP.

Smaller files transfer fine but anything large hangs at 49,152 bytes (48 kb) and then prompts for a retry.

Proxmox_SFTP_Error.jpg

The following has been tried:
- Large backups of VMs and saved to the local disk work.
- Lots of free space on the disk.
- Can transfer any sized file to the VMs on the server without problem.
- Tried transfer from the following computers: Windows 7, Windows 10, Ubuntu & Android.
- Upload from the GUI fails on all browsers.

I have been putting up with this hoping that updates would fix this. However, I now have a Windows 10 VM that BSODs daily and now has corrupted that needs the boot media to fix it. So I am trying to transfer the ISO to the Proxmox server.

My version info is:

proxmox-ve: 4.1-39 (running kernel: 4.2.8-1-pve)
pve-manager: 4.1-22 (running version: 4.1-22/aca130cf)
pve-kernel-4.2.6-1-pve: 4.2.6-36
pve-kernel-4.2.8-1-pve: 4.2.8-39
lvm2: 2.02.116-pve2
corosync-pve: 2.3.5-2
libqb0: 1.0-1
pve-cluster: 4.0-36
qemu-server: 4.0-64
pve-firmware: 1.1-7
libpve-common-perl: 4.0-54
libpve-access-control: 4.0-13
libpve-storage-perl: 4.0-45
pve-libspice-server1: 0.12.5-2
vncterm: 1.2-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 2.5-9
pve-container: 1.0-52
pve-firewall: 2.0-22
pve-ha-manager: 1.0-25
ksm-control-daemon: 1.2-1
glusterfs-client: 3.5.2-2+deb8u1
lxc-pve: 1.1.5-7
lxcfs: 2.0.0-pve2
cgmanager: 0.39-pve1
criu: 1.6.0-1
zfsutils: 0.6.5-pve7~jessie

Other things that may or may not be related:
- Using Putty to SSH into the shell, after some time (minutes) it will be non-responsive but still show connected. If I type some things or hit enter, a few seconds later it will disconnect. This did not happen on the older server.
- Using the Console view from the GUI, after a few minutes the mouse & keyboard no longer work. A few minutes later it will reconnect and work for a few minutes longer before going through the same cycle. When the mouse and keyboard stop working, clicking on refresh brings it back for a few minutes. This did not happen on the older server.

Thanks in advance for your help,
IceProx

Hi sdinet,

Thank you for your reply. I have completed a test using the same machine with a different hard drive and loaded an older version of Proxmox and the transfer works perfectly.

This would rule out my network.

Thanks,
IceProx

I have completed a test using the same machine with a different hard drive and loaded an older version of Proxmox and the transfer works perfectly.

Check

- Firewall

- Routing

- ping

Sorry for digging up this very old thread. I currently have the same/a similar issue, that I cannot scp/rsync files larger 48kb from Proxmox containers to a Synology NAS. I was able to reproduce this problem with three different LXd containers (based on the turnkeylinux image). scp and rsync works for files smaller 48kb. I can both scp/rsync bigger files out of the same container on proxmox to a different host (raspi) as well as from different other clients to the NAS.
I'm totally clueless of the root cause and would appreciate any help!
edit: scp'ing a file from the pve node works, thus the physical network and external firewall, routing, ... seems to be no issue. Looks to me like a problem bound to the container(s), pve internal networking, ...

Last edited:
For reference: For me it was a really stupid configuration error of the container: I did set a /32 network mask, instead a /24. No idea why it caused only issues with one target and not with another.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!