Cannot Create/Join Cluster - No Networking Available

4leftpaws

Oct 17, 2021
I've just installed proxmox on a server, recreated all my VMs from esxi, and am now working on creating a cluster between two hosts. Host1 has all the VMs on it (3 LXCs and 2 VMs) while Host2 is brand new. Both are on DHCP with static leases.

I was able to create a cluster on Host2 just fine though the GUI. However joining the cluster, there is no networking to select. Everything else about the remote host fills in just fine:
Ux4l2NY.png

It allows me to select next so I do and I receive the following error:
detected the following error(s):
* this host already contains virtual guests
* local node address: cannot use IP '192.168.0.199', not found on local node!

TASK ERROR: Check if node may join a cluster failed!
The problem with this is that 192.168.0.199 is the IP address I originally setup proxmox with before switching to DHCP static leases. My assumption is that whatever is pointing at this IP needs to be properly setup the way the rest of the host is. my /etc/networking/interfaces file looks like
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp1s0 inet manual

iface enp2s0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet dhcp
bridge-ports enp1s0
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
I'm not sure where else to look, or if I'm even looking at the right thing.

* this host already contains virtual guests
this will prevent you from joining the cluster, make sure the node that joins is empty (e.g. backup/restore)

how does your /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts look like?

the nodename (hostname) must resolve to an ip

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!