can we use ZFS storage as backup storage

Neox

Dec 12, 2018
France
When I setup a ZFS storage on my Proxmox cluster I can only tick "VM disks and Container"
I'm partition based as my system is also running from the hard drive as raid partition.

Is it possible to use a zfs storage for local backup or do I need to repartition my hardrive to add local raid5 (or LVM) and ext4 storage for my backups ?

My cluster is 3 machines with

Proxmox VE 7.1.7
Xeon(R) CPU D-1521 (4Cores/8Threads)
4x2TB Sata Drive
32GB RAM ECC

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam Smith
you can create a dataset and then configure a directory storage for that dataset's mountpoint (be sure to set 'is_mountpoint' in storage.cfg so that PVE knows it should only treat this dir storage as active if something is mounted there).

you can create a dataset and then configure a directory storage for that dataset's mountpoint (be sure to set 'is_mountpoint' in storage.cfg so that PVE knows it should only treat this dir storage as active if something is mounted there).
that nearly what I have found and then done (on my test lab)
just create a directory inside a dataset, and ask PVE to use it as "storage -> directory"

that's a bit strange but it works, and within the zroot, you can assign quota to a dataset, thus to the directory below

in that case, I'd still set 'is_mountpoint' to the path of the mountpoint under your subdirectory (e.g., if your main ZFS storage is 'pool/data' mounted on /data, and you created a directory storage for the subdir /data/dirstorage, you'd put '/data' as 'is_mountpoint' value), so that PVE doesn't race against that and create directories then blocking ZFS from being mounted..

in that case, I'd still set 'is_mountpoint' to the path of the mountpoint under your subdirectory (e.g., if your main ZFS storage is 'pool/data' mounted on /data, and you created a directory storage for the subdir /data/dirstorage, you'd put '/data' as 'is_mountpoint' value), so that PVE doesn't race against that and create directories then blocking ZFS from being mounted..
do I need to do this by touching a file inside the /data or do I need to edit the storage.cfg ?

storage.cfg (or set it via 'pvesm') - the GUI doesn't expose that setting (yet)

for someone arrived here, pvesm command is as follow

pvesm set STORAGE_NAME -is_mountpoint yes

make /etc/pve/storage.cfg looks like, with added is_mountpoint yes

dir: STORAGE_NAME path /path/to/my/directory content images,vztmpl,snippets,iso,backup,rootdir is_mountpoint yes prune-backups keep-all=1 shared 0

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!