[SOLVED] Can Ryzen 7 3700U run smooth on Proxmox?

Dogs1985

Nov 8, 2022
Saw a mini PC with a Ryzen 7 3700U. I know that this processor is outdated, may this device consider small power consumption but big processing power?

My main purpose is to install OpenWRT on the Proxmox as a Internet router. May simply learn docker, container and linux, use the virtual machine to test weird application, and host some simple application like storage, adblock, wireguard, stream and etc.

Can this mini PC do it? Or Proxmox needs a lot of memory to run smooth for each VM?

Another stupid question, if installed OpenWRT on Proxmox suddenly crash, does it will affected whole network? Can I just restart the mini PC to solve it? Or is there another method to do it without restart whole machine? Or the probability of OpenWRT crash very low?

Or Proxmox needs a lot of memory to run smooth for each VM?
RAM is usually what will run out first. And with mini PCs you usually only got two SO-DIMM RAM slots and you want both populated to make use of dual channel. So it's not that easy to add more RAM later. You would need to remove your small RAM modules and replace them with bigger ones.
Saw a mini PC with a Ryzen 7 3700U. I know that this processor is outdated, may this device consider small power consumption but big processing power?
Some years old isn't bad. At least you then run into fewer problems, as the drivers are more mature and the hardware in general is better supported by the linux kernel.

Another stupid question, if installed OpenWRT on Proxmox suddenly crash, does it will affected whole network? Can I just restart the mini PC to solve it? Or is there another method to do it without restart whole machine? Or the probability of OpenWRT crash very low?
Yes, when there is a problem with that OpenWRT guest you will be offline until you fit that problem. Have a look at OPNsense or pfsense. They allow you to run two high available OPNsenses/pfsenses so in case one will stop working the other one will take over its job within a second. Of cause most useful when running two servers for real redundancy: https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/OPNsense_HA_Cluster_configuration

Reactions: Dogs1985
RAM is usually what will run out first. And with mini PCs you usually only got two SO-DIMM RAM slots and you want both populated to make use of dual channel. So it's not that easy to add more RAM later. You would need to remove your small RAM modules and replace them with bigger ones.

Some years old isn't bad. At least you then run into fewer problems, as the drivers are more mature and the hardware in general is better supported by the linux kernel.

Yes, when there is a problem with that OpenWRT guest you will be offline until you fit that problem. Have a look at OPNsense or pfsense. They allow you to run two high available OPNsenses/pfsenses so in case one will stop working the other one will take over its job within a second. Of cause most useful when running two servers for real redundancy: https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/OPNsense_HA_Cluster_configuration
Thank you very much for your reply, your reply really enlighten me a lot.

>Saw a mini PC with a Ryzen 7 3700U. I know that this processor is outdated,

what makes you think that this processor is outdated?

>Can this mini PC do it?

sure.

>Can I just restart the mini PC to solve it?

you can just restart the OpenWRT VM

>Saw a mini PC with a Ryzen 7 3700U. I know that this processor is outdated,

what makes you think that this processor is outdated?

>Can this mini PC do it?

sure.

>Can I just restart the mini PC to solve it?

you can just restart the OpenWRT VM
This is a processor from a few years ago, maybe there is a cpu, memory or storage limitation, or lack technology to support, Plus it's a low power mobile/notebook processor, That's why I'm afraid it can't handle the VMs on Proxmox. Now know that this processor can handle it without problem.

Thought that Proxmox would not be able access once it crashes? Or does OpenWRT itself have a restart mechanism when crashes?

I don't understand, is the Proxmox use some kernel version on hardware Intel celeron N5105/N6005 will have problem? Switch the system kernel can done in Proxmox? I don't know anything of this.
Are you facing some problem on your device? You don't recommend me use this Intel celeron N6005 as Proxmox?

Virtualization on them is unstable. Newer kernels do better, but seems still not good/optimal for many people.
So if you want (now) a stable system for your PVE-host, I would not recommend those CPUs (yet)...
For more informations read:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!