[SOLVED] Can not see zfs pool when trying to make VM

TheCommander

Sep 2, 2021
After configuring my cluster I created my ZFS pool and then created another instance that the whole cluster could use as VM storage but when going to create a VM it does not appear in the storage selection and I cant for the life of me figure out what is wrong. Any help would be appreciated

Regards

Hi,
did you already add the new pool to the storage configuration in PVE? This can be done via the UI in Datacenter > Storage > Add > ZFS or in the CLI with pvesm add. If you did, please share your /etc/pve/storage.cfg and the output of pveversion -v.

Hi,
did you already add the new pool to the storage configuration in PVE? This can be done via the UI in Datacenter > Storage > Add > ZFS or in the CLI with pvesm add. If you did, please share your /etc/pve/storage.cfg and the output of pveversion -v.
Yes I have added the pool through the Datacenter. when I run pveversion -v it returns this block of information
proxmox-ve: 7.0-2 (running kernel: 5.11.22-1-pve) pve-manager: 7.0-8 (running version: 7.0-8/b1dbf562) pve-kernel-5.11: 7.0-3 pve-kernel-helper: 7.0-3 pve-kernel-5.11.22-1-pve: 5.11.22-2 ceph-fuse: 15.2.13-pve1 corosync: 3.1.2-pve2 criu: 3.15-1+pve-1 glusterfs-client: 9.2-1 ifupdown2: 3.0.0-1+pve5 ksm-control-daemon: 1.4-1 libjs-extjs: 7.0.0-1 libknet1: 1.21-pve1 libproxmox-acme-perl: 1.1.1 libproxmox-backup-qemu0: 1.2.0-1 libpve-access-control: 7.0-4 libpve-apiclient-perl: 3.2-1 libpve-common-perl: 7.0-4 libpve-guest-common-perl: 4.0-2 libpve-http-server-perl: 4.0-2 libpve-storage-perl: 7.0-7 libspice-server1: 0.14.3-2.1 lvm2: 2.03.11-2.1 lxc-pve: 4.0.9-2 lxcfs: 4.0.8-pve1 novnc-pve: 1.2.0-3 proxmox-backup-client: 2.0.1-1 proxmox-backup-file-restore: 2.0.1-1 proxmox-mini-journalreader: 1.2-1 proxmox-widget-toolkit: 3.2-4 pve-cluster: 7.0-3 pve-container: 4.0-5 pve-docs: 7.0-5 pve-edk2-firmware: 3.20200531-1 pve-firewall: 4.2-2 pve-firmware: 3.2-4 pve-ha-manager: 3.3-1 pve-i18n: 2.4-1 pve-qemu-kvm: 6.0.0-2 pve-xtermjs: 4.12.0-1 qemu-server: 7.0-7 smartmontools: 7.2-1 spiceterm: 3.2-2 vncterm: 1.7-1 zfsutils-linux: 2.0.4-pve1

and my /etc/pve/storage.cfg shows this:
dir: local path /var/lib/vz content vztmpl,iso,backup lvmthin: local-lvm thinpool data vgname pve content images,rootdir zfspool: HL-Storage pool HL-Storage content images,rootdir mountpoint /HL-Storage nodes worker1,worker2 sparse 0 zfspool: HL-storage pool HL-Storage content images,rootdir mountpoint /HL-Storage nodes worker1,worker2 sparse 0

Last edited:
Code:
zfspool: HL-Storage
        pool HL-Storage
        content images,rootdir
        mountpoint /HL-Storage
        nodes worker1,worker2
        sparse 0

zfspool: HL-storage
        pool HL-Storage
        content images,rootdir
        mountpoint /HL-Storage
        nodes worker1,worker2
        sparse 0
Looks like you configured the same backing storage with the same content types twice. This should be avoided, as the same volume can show up twice and storage locking won't work.

Does the storage show up with other storage selectors like when moving/adding a disk to a VM? What is the output of pvesh get /nodes/<nodename>/storage --format 1 --content images?

Looks like you configured the same backing storage with the same content types twice. This should be avoided, as the same volume can show up twice and storage locking won't work.

Does the storage show up with other storage selectors like when moving/adding a disk to a VM? What is the output of pvesh get /nodes/<nodename>/storage --format 1 --content images?
My problem was that I thought the partition that stored my ISO images would count as my main storage and that is why I posted. I fixed my problem by selecting my ISO that I wanted to use and then choose my storage drive later. This thread can be closed

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!