Broke PVE access after trying to setup SFP+ card - Please help

Jan 23, 2021
Hi all,

I’m trying to figure out how I configure a dual SFP+ card in PVE. It’s an Intel X520-DA2.

It shows up when running lspci.

I’m unsure of the steps I need to take to get this working. I had a guess, and made some changes. Unfortunately it didnt go well and I broke my access to the web interface. Thank god for IPMI. I was able to edit the /etc/network/interfaces file back to how it was initially to regain access. I guess I’ve learned one way not to do it at least.

I initially made the changes from the GUI. I have four physical network interfaces showing up. They are eno1, eno2, enp185s0f0, and enp185s0f1. Currently my bridge is linked to eno1 which one of the RJ45 ports on the motherboard. I’m assuming that the two enp ones are my SFP+ ports however I’m not sure how to confirm this. I have run “ip a” which prints out a heap of info, but nothing that I can see that references the two enp logical names that are showing uo in the GUI and also in the interfaces file.

What steps can I take to confirm these are the two SFP+ ports and what should I need to do to comfigure them to work with PVE?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

FS

You could check the 'bus-info' line of ethtool -i <if> and compare it with the address in the lspci output.

Thanks for the advice.

Unfortunately, I didn't get very far with that.

Here is the info from 'lspci -v':

Screenshot 2021-02-20 at 00.22.16.png

What did catch my eye was that it was not showing any kernel driver in use. I did some further digging.

This is the output from 'journalctl -b -k | grep ixgbe':

Screenshot 2021-02-20 at 00.53.00.png

I'm not sure why it would say this is unsupported? It's a really common and popular SFP+ card. I actually purchased it as a lot of people were saying it was their goto SFP+ card for Linux-based systems.

Is there anything I can do to try and make this work or is this a dead end?

Thanks,

FS

Actually reading up on this more it seems like it may be the SFP+ module itself that is incompatible. As the log says really. Didn't click straight away. The modules I’m using are 10GTech ones, compatible with most switches but apparently not so compatible with Intel.

I have 2 Intel compatible modules coming on Sunday. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

Thanks,

FS

Thanks. Will take a look at that. However, after getting the 10GTech Intel specific SFP+ modules it all working. Lesson learned. Pay attention to module compatibility.

I have both SFP+ ports configured as a bond and the bond assigned to my bridge. All working well.

FS

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!