bonding + VLANs best practice

mlohr

Oct 29, 2019
mlohr.com
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to configure networking for a Proxmox Host but I'm not how to do it the best. I want to configure Port Bonding together with multiple VLANs. The IP of the Proxmox node should be within one of the VLANs, so I'm coming up with the following structure:
- bond0 interface for LACP
- bond0.100 interface with IP for Proxmox
- vmbr0 vlan aware bridge for passing to the VMs.

But if I configure it this way, I cannot reach Proxmox anymore - no idea why. So I worked with VLANs the manual way:
- bond0 interface for LACP
- bond0.100 interface with IP for Proxmox
- bond0.101 interface (for VLAN 101)
- bond0.102....
- vmbr0 on bond0.100
- vmbr1 on bond0.101
- vmbr2...

In this case, I have to reboot Proxmox every time I want to create a new VLAN, since I have to create a new bonding/bridge interface.

Any idea for a (working) (best) practice here?

Best regards and thanks in advance
Matthias

Check the config option 'bridge_vids" for the bridge to limit the VLAN IDs that the vlan aware bridge will use and exclude the manually configured VLAN.

So no chance to have vmbr0 with all VLANs and another interface with the server's IP (and still having the server's IP running in one of the VLANs)?

Well, except for the one VLAN that you configured on the bond. Otherwise, it is not clear which interface down the line from the physical one (bond, bridge) should get the VLAN tagged packets.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!