Bluetooth on LXC - docker - Home Assistant (Turnkey template)

caxaciim

Nov 9, 2022
Hi!

I have nonprivileged LXC (Turnkey template) and I am running Home Assistant (and others) in docker. I have Conbee and RFLink running ok AND bluetooth is visible in LXC and inside HA container. But. Home Assistant does not see bluetooth.

I have tried external (Asus BT-500) also. No luck.

Code:
root@homeassistant /opt# lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0a2a Intel Corp. Bluetooth wireless interface
Bus 001 Device 008: ID 0b05:190e ASUSTek Computer, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 1cf1:0030 Dresden Elektronik ZigBee gateway [ConBee II]
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 2341:0042 Arduino SA Mega 2560 R3 (CDC ACM)
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Code:
docker-compose.yaml:

volumes:
      - /opt/homeassistant:/config
      - /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro
      - /run/dbus:/run/dbus:ro

Now I am lost and I would appreciate greatly if anybody can give at least some advice what to check/do next.

Thank you.

bluetooth as usb are both busses and they cannot be passthroughed. You can only passthrough a device, so that is also true for bluetooth. If you have a bluetooth serial device, you can e.g. have that in your docker

I am a bit confused. People are using bluetooth on Docker installations and the HomeAssistant OS itself is running ok on VirtualBox and it sees laptop's BT. How are those installations working?

I am wondering if I need to compile just right version of the BlueZ and install BT-500 drivers - but I am not sure where (Proxmox itself, LXC or inside Docker container...)

Can you explain a bit more, thank you.

I am a bit confused. People are using bluetooth on Docker installations and the HomeAssistant OS itself is running ok on VirtualBox and it sees laptop's BT. How are those installations working?
VirtualBox is the same as QEMU/KVM. You will not have problem if you just abandon LX(C) containers and switch to a "real" VM.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!