Best practice Dell R710 H700 SMR soho

trueman

Jan 7, 2022
Hello,
First post. I wanted to see if anyone could offer some suggestions/best practice for configuring a Dell R710 with PERC H700. From what I can tell it looks like a lot of people have come by these units over the last couple years for home experimentation. I've worked though a few learning curves like, learning I can't pass the drives though to proxmox directly with the H700 and that WD Reds don't mean what they used to.

Here are some of the questions I still have;

Can I mix SMR and CMR drives? Ideally I would like to replace my existing SMR drives over time as budget allows, that being said can I swap in a CMR drive over time?
Is there any suggested settings while using SMR drives?

Because the H700 does not have an IT (initiator target) mode, is there any best practice for managing the hard drives? I know the right answer is get an H200 but that isn't an option at the moment. Should I create a RAID 5 and then let Proxmox divi it out or create 5x RAID 0 then pass them along to Proxmox? I understand this isn't optimal but does that just mean I am sacrificing a significant amount of performance or amI significantly elevating my risk of corrupted/loss data?

Ive read not to use ZFS with hardware RAID, what should I use in its place? Is ZFS discouraged in the configuration because its inefficient or because it corrupts data?

What would help in my scenario? l2ARC? slog? or any other suggestions.

Hardware List:
96GB memory
PERC H700
5x 6TB WD Red (smr)
1x Kingston 240GB SSD

My main priorities are SOHO NAS, PLEX server, with the ability to manage VMs/Containers/Dockers for a homelab. I'm trying to put emphasis on stability and reliability. I can afford downtime if a drive fails and needs replaced as long as eventually I can get back to my data.
I know there a lot here but again any feedback and suggestions are appreciated! Thank you.

Hello,
First post. I wanted to see if anyone could offer some suggestions/best practice for configuring a Dell R710 with PERC H700. From what I can tell it looks like a lot of people have come by these units over the last couple years for home experimentation. I've worked though a few learning curves like, learning I can't pass the drives though to proxmox directly with the H700 and that WD Reds don't mean what they used to.

Here are some of the questions I still have;

Can I mix SMR and CMR drives? Ideally I would like to replace my existing SMR drives over time as budget allows, that being said can I swap in a CMR drive over time?
Is there any suggested settings while using SMR drives?

Because the H700 does not have an IT (initiator target) mode, is there any best practice for managing the hard drives? I know the right answer is get an H200 but that isn't an option at the moment. Should I create a RAID 5 and then let Proxmox divi it out or create 5x RAID 0 then pass them along to Proxmox? I understand this isn't optimal but does that just mean I am sacrificing a significant amount of performance or amI significantly elevating my risk of corrupted/loss data?

Ive read not to use ZFS with hardware RAID, what should I use in its place? Is ZFS discouraged in the configuration because its inefficient or because it corrupts data?

What would help in my scenario? l2ARC? slog? or any other suggestions.
ZFS needs direct access to the individual disks without any abstraction layer like raid in between or you might loose your data. See the ZFS documentation for a detailed explanation: https://openzfs.github.io/openzfs-docs/Performance and Tuning/Hardware.html#hardware-raid-controllers

And SMR HDDs shouldn't be used at all with ZFS. ZFS is, because of its CoW, very write intense and SMR HDDs can't handle this well. As soon as the SMR disks cache gets full they get that slow and unresponsive, that ZFS thinks the HDD is dead, because it can't answer in time, so this missing response is counted as a read/write error and after too much of such errors your pool will switch into degraded state.

So either get a real HBA and CMR disks for ZFS or use HW raid.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!