Apr 13, 2020
Hi guys..

I am new and need some help here.

Running ZFS file system.

My Setup:
Asus H270 Plus
G4560 Intel
WD Green SSD 120gb x 3 pcs

I am running an UBUNTU File Server VM in my PVE.

Transfer Files from UBUNTU File Server VM to Local Network PC = FAST (107MB/s)
read.jpg

Transfer Files from Local Network PC to UBUNTU File Server VM = SLOW (Very fast at the beginning.. however speed keep going up & down.. like a Zig Zag)

write.jpg

• I disabled Sync
  • enabled Compression
  • Tried Raid0 or RaidZ
  • Upgraded my memory from DDR3 8gb to DDR4 16GB
  • Upgraded processor
  • Upgraded Motherboard

Nothing works....

Appreciate if anyone can help out... ;)

Last edited:
Hi,

I don't know this disk but the sawtooth pattern indicates a cache that gets full.
Do you have a Raid Card on this system?

How fast the WD green and are they stable over 60 sec?

try this command to test a single disk.
This test destroys(override) the data on this disk.

Code:
 fio --bs=4k --rw=randwrite --direct=1 --sync=1 --runtime=60  --ramp_time=10 --name=4kwrite --group_reporting --file=/dev/sd<x>

Hi,

I don't know this disk but the sawtooth pattern indicates a cache that gets full.
Do you have a Raid Card on this system?

How fast the WD green and are they stable over 60 sec?

try this command to test a single disk.
This test destroys(override) the data on this disk.

Code:
fio --bs=4k --rw=randwrite --direct=1 --sync=1 --runtime=60  --ramp_time=10 --name=4kwrite --group_reporting --file=/dev/sd<x>

Hi Wolfgang!

Thank you for the reply.

I do not have a raid card.

I will try it and see how it goes

I also have some WD Green flying around here, they're cheap SSDs for consumers and not good for ZFS and no, not even for a home environment.

BTW: I have much better performance on enterprise HDDs (not even SSDs) with ZFS than you with your setup here.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!