backup Proxmox

server_paul

Jun 22, 2022
Im running Proxmox 7.2-11 with an SSD (system), a 4TB HDD (data) and a 5TB HDD (backup). (all in one pc)
I'm currently just backing up my lxcs to the hdd, but if the PC or SSD fails, the data on the backup disk is lost too (, isnt it?)
is there a way to back up the files to the disk with the possiblity to connect it to my Mac and access all data there? -> replacing the PC/SSD and transferring the files back would do it?

Im running Proxmox 7.2-11 with an SSD (system), a 4TB HDD (data) and a 5TB HDD (backup). (all in one pc)
I'm currently just backing up my lxcs to the hdd, but if the PC or SSD fails, the data on the backup disk is lost too (, isnt it?)
A power surge or fire might destroy them all, but a common failures of other components usually does not damage the HDD.
is there a way to back up the files to the disk with the possiblity to connect it to my Mac and access all data there? -> replacing the PC/SSD and transferring the files back would do it?
Can you connect the HDD to the Mac? Can your Mac read the filesystem(s) that you use on the HDD? Sorry but I don't know enough of (your) Mac to tell you.
Reinstalling Proxmox on working hardware should allow you to access the filesystem(s) on the HDD again without much hassle.

Can your Mac read the filesystem(s) that you use on the HDD?
Clear answer: the depends ... on the used filesystem. I also use OpenZFS on my Mac, so I can access any disk I use in Linux AND MacOS.
There are also ext4 capable readers out there for MacOS, but I haven't used them for years.

the depends ... on the used filesystem. I also use OpenZFS on my Mac, so I can access any disk I use in Linux AND MacOS.
thanks, that was what i hoped for. I'm currently using ext4 and macOS says I need to intialize (format) the disk to read it.
But, I'm trying openZFS, hopefully successful...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!