MEpke

Sep 5, 2024
Hey all! Long time "Googler", first time poster. So I'm sure there are tons of threads I'm sure. However, let me tell you the story as short as I can.

I had the scare of my life when my sas drive (that came with the used hardware I bought a couple years back) died last night. Now, I'm not 100% dumb. I made a configuration backup of my truenas vm as well as what I thought was the truenas vm 100 as well. I had them safely on a few different usb sticks that sit on the server rack unplugged, just in case.

Essentially, I went to use them when all this happened and I kept receiving "corrupt messages" on the pve backups. Fortunately, the truenas one worked, so I must've just done something wrong on the other side. Re-install the VM's, upgrade truenas to 13.0 and the backup configuration worked. Now, I saved myself probably half a day since I only set this stuff up every once in a while and forget some things like how to pass through the hard drives through the raid card (which i did eventually figure out).

Question is...I need to figure out the best, cost effective way to not have to go through this again. All my data was there, thankfully. Makes sense as only the sas drive crashed. But, you see my point. Can you guys help me out? I just need an easy way to restore things and save them on flash drives and such for if something happens again.

Also:

using

Dell R710 with:
Proxmox VE 7.x (I don't remember)
Truenas VM 13.x
1TB ssd for os and such
4 Iron wolf 4tbs in a Raid Z (if I recall)

Thanks again!
Mike

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!