[SOLVED] Backup error - "got timeout"

fabiooreff

Dec 9, 2019
Tortosa
Hi all! In one of my physical servers with Proxmox I have a problem that has been repeated for some time, sometimes, the proxmox backup program begins to fail progressively with the following error: "got timeout", first it usually happens to a machine or 2, and then it just happens to all the virtual machines, I have been investigating the problem a bit even though I have not found a concrete solution, since in the logs the same thing comes out as in the GUI task viewer. The only solution to this problem that I have found is to restart the entire server, which I would not like to do whenever I have this problem, is there any system unit created to load proxmox backup tasks? Can I reset the backup program without having to restart the entire physical server? I enclose some screenshots and one of the logs in case it helps.

error_proxmox-got-timeout.png

Hi fabiooreff,

is this Problem not the same like ?
VM doesn't start Proxmox 6 - timeout waiting on systemd

Well, the truth is that it does not seem to me that it is the same problem, in that case, the machines freeze, my MVs work perfectly, the problem I have, is that every x time (5 or 6 days, or more) the backups begin to fail giving the "got-timeout" error, I don't know to what extent it is the fault of the backup program or the PVE itself.

I suggest to try it on the commandline with vzdump (see man vzdump) and you will get more information
maybe the mountpoint or whatever ....
https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/vzdump.1.html
for example:
Code:
vzdump 107 --mode stop --compress lzo --dumpdir /backups_4TB/dump/

Thank you! I had already planned to run a vzdump manually to see how it responded, anyway if I remember correctly I already did it with another physical server that I also have with Proxmox and it seems to me that it gave the same information as the task viewer prompt.

Thank you! I had already planned to run a vzdump manually to see how it responded, anyway if I remember correctly I already did it with another physical server that I also have with Proxmox and it seems to me that it gave the same information as the task viewer prompt.

I just tried to do the backup with vzdump manually, and it still gives me the same error.

What version of PVE are you running? pveversion -v

What version of PVE are you running? pveversion -v

Hello aaron! The version of my PVE is 6.0-2 and the pve-manager is 6.0-6

proxmox-ve: 6.0-2 (running kernel: 5.0.21-1-pve)
pve-manager: 6.0-6 (running version: 6.0-6/c71f879f)
pve-kernel-5.0: 6.0-7
pve-kernel-helper: 6.0-7
pve-kernel-4.15: 5.4-8
pve-kernel-5.0.21-1-pve: 5.0.21-2
pve-kernel-4.15.18-20-pve: 4.15.18-46
pve-kernel-4.15.18-12-pve: 4.15.18-36
ceph-fuse: 12.2.11+dfsg1-2.1+b1
corosync: 3.0.2-pve2
criu: 3.11-3
glusterfs-client: 5.5-3
ksm-control-daemon: 1.3-1
libjs-extjs: 6.0.1-10
libknet1: 1.11-pve1
libpve-access-control: 6.0-2
libpve-apiclient-perl: 3.0-2
libpve-common-perl: 6.0-4
libpve-guest-common-perl: 3.0-1
libpve-http-server-perl: 3.0-2
libpve-storage-perl: 6.0-7
libqb0: 1.0.5-1
lvm2: 2.03.02-pve3
lxc-pve: 3.1.0-64
lxcfs: 3.0.3-pve60
novnc-pve: 1.0.0-60
proxmox-mini-journalreader: 1.1-1
proxmox-widget-toolkit: 2.0-7
pve-cluster: 6.0-7
pve-container: 3.0-5
pve-docs: 6.0-4
pve-edk2-firmware: 2.20190614-1
pve-firewall: 4.0-7
pve-firmware: 3.0-2
pve-ha-manager: 3.0-2
pve-i18n: 2.0-2
pve-qemu-kvm: 4.0.0-5
pve-xtermjs: 3.13.2-1
qemu-server: 6.0-7
smartmontools: 7.0-pve2
spiceterm: 3.1-1
vncterm: 1.6-1
zfsutils-linux: 0.8.1-pve2

Please install updates and then either shutdown the VM and start it again or live migrate it to a node which has been updated.

Background: you still have pve-qemu-kvm version 4.0.0-5 installed. There was an issue with the Qemu Monitor (qmp) that caused the qmp to not be listening to new connections to it. For more details see this thread: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/c...acked-up-and-managed.57016/page-5#post-272544

Please install updates and then either shutdown the VM and start it again or live migrate it to a node which has been updated.

Background: you still have pve-qemu-kvm version 4.0.0-5 installed. There was an issue with the Qemu Monitor (qmp) that caused the qmp to not be listening to new connections to it. For more details see this thread: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/c...acked-up-and-managed.57016/page-5#post-272544

Okay, thanks @aaron and @maxprox for your support! I will update to the latest versions available in the repository and then restart the server to see if the backups begin to respond correctly.

The update will not be able to be done soon for several reasons, I will try to do it in the next few days to clear the problem of the qemu monitor and be able to close the thread as "SOLVED"

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!