backup drives

positech3

Jan 11, 2022
I have a system where we came up short some space. Proxmox 7.0-8
I have 6x 800GB drives RAID Mirror which the VM has pretty much filled up but is ok for the VM just causes Proxmox issues.
I would like to add 2x 1TB drives to allow proxmox to have space for updates and gives me a place to create a backup for the VM.
Can and how could I take these two drives and make them one volume/partition where I have 2TB or so to do backups and give proxmox some working space.
thank you in advance

HW raid, ZFS stripe (but loose 20% of space), LVM stripe or mdadm raid0 all would work. I think only ZFS can be done using the WebUI. But keep in mind that striping both disks will half the reliability because if any one of the two disks got a problem the whole data will be lost.

HW raid, ZFS stripe (but loose 20% of space), LVM stripe or mdadm raid0 all would work. I think only ZFS can be done using the WebUI. But keep in mind that striping both disks will half the reliability because if any one of the two disks got a problem the whole data will be lost.
I had this as ZFS but could not get it to show up as an option for backup storage.
where am I missing that?

A normal ZFS storage can only be used for VM/LXC virtual disks. If you want to store backups on it you need to create a dataset (for example zfs create YourPool/backups) and then add a directory storage to your PVE (Datacenter -> Storage -> Add -> Directory) pointing to the mountpoint of that dataset (should be /YourPool/backups). If you select "Vzdump" as content type for that directroy storage you can store your backups there. But keep in mind that a ZFS pool should always be kept 20% free so don't fill it completely up with backups.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!