Backup Ceph stored VM

Abreiv

Feb 20, 2018
Hello,

I would like your advise about a backup solution with Proxmox

I work on a proof of concept with Proxmox and Ceph.
I’ve create two cluster with pve 5.1 : one cluster of 3 nodes for compute; another cluster of 3 nodes for Ceph.
The compute cluster are connected to Ceph cluster with RBD (external) and store all VM disks on Ceph cluster.
I have one more node, simple linux without Proxmox, only for backup, it serve NFS share to compute cluster.

I have 3 network, all with 2x10Gb LACP. One for compute cluster, one for storage Ceph cluster => compute cluster RBD connection, one for backup between compute cluster and backup NFS node.

I’ve take notice through the POC, that Ceph VM backend have speed issues with vzdump. Something about 4Mb block read for Ceph and 64k for qemu :https://pve.proxmox.com/pipermail/pve-devel/2016-February/019282.html
https://pve.proxmox.com/pipermail/pve-devel/2016-February/019282.html

In my configuration I have vzdump speed only around 100/130 MB/s, what looks be expected with this issue. Unfortunately, that not enough to backup all VM OS disk in one night.

We are realy interested by Proxmox + Ceph and we want to take a subscription but we are obliged to find a solution, in addition to classic file level backup, for a block mode/baremetal backup for the OS disks.

Do you know a solution that can help us, it can be an external solution as well as a commercial software that make consistent backup ? Might be something like veeam for vmware that connect to Proxmox, discover information about VM and make the backup.

We looking for a solution with a “simple” GUI/Web interface, backup/restore fonction must be usable by most of the administrator

Thanks you for your help

You can have a backup solution that works on block level within the VM, there are a couple out there. Also you can use the export/import feature of ceph and some tooling around. As all the solutions, the admins need training.

To better utilize the bandwidth, you can configure multiple backup jobs (host / vm basis). As per default, one job will go through its VM to backup in sequence.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!