Assistance planning proxmox network

karlito96

Nov 29, 2021
Hello all,

I'll begin with saying I am new to Proxmox however not new to Debian. I recently set-up my old PC as a Proxmox server as I bought a decent laptop and well.. didn't need a PC no more.
I see that most people online use 2 physical network interfaces on their Proxmox servers, however I only have 1 network card and port in my server.

The server itself is connected to the 4th port of my smart negear switch, the netgear switch is connected to my USG4-pro. Port 4 on the switch is tagged for vlan 1 (management network) and untagged for vlan 1040 (proxmox network).
Can I share both of these vlans, assign bridges to them and use them simultaneously in my PVE? Or do additional bridges actually require additional physical interfaces?

Buying an additional network card for my server and assigning one port on the netgear for vlan1 and another port for vlan 1040 and plugging the server to both of them is not off the table as again, I see that is what most people do on the internet, however I was wondering if there is a cheaper workaround; also if there is a workaround, what would the downside/s be if any?

Thanks!

Last edited:
You can certainly put multiple vlans on one port/switch and then it's just a matter of making sure you route it. Sounds like your USG4 is doing that routing, but if it's not, then either your host or a virtual machine must route it, if you want traffic to flow between vlans. However, if you do not want traffic to flow between vlans, you must make sure to disable routing.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!