apt update database error - 401 unauthorized

Miguel Alfaiate

Dec 17, 2017
Hello.

I have just installed a proxmox 5.2 server, and I see an error on the web interface when it tries to check for updates.

Running apt-get update from the command line shows the following error:

Failed to fetch https://enterprise.proxmox.com/debian/pve/dists/stretch/pve-enterprise/binary-amd64/Packages 401 Unauthorized

I have a proxmox 4.4 installation and I have never seen this issue, so I am not sure exactly what is going on.

I do not have an active subscription.

Please check your sources.list entries, you seem to have configured the enterprise repository. Specifically that is probably within the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pve-enterprise.list config file. See https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Package_Repositories how to adjust those entries for the no-subscription repository.

Hello Rhonda.

Thank you for the update.

I don't recall this being needed in proxmox 4.4.

I am doing some tests for migrating proxmox 4.4 to 5.2 and if everything works out, I will plan for a subscription update, but it seems not too user friendly to have proxmox default setup to fail on apt updates.

Hello Rhonda.

Thank you for the update.

I don't recall this being needed in proxmox 4.4.

I am doing some tests for migrating proxmox 4.4 to 5.2 and if everything works out, I will plan for a subscription update, but it seems not too user friendly to have proxmox default setup to fail on apt updates.

By default, you should have a valid subscription and then its 100 % user friendly. (If not, you need to do a manual change, also not that much work)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!