Another SSD-related question about health and storage options

Thx a lot. I will make another symlink.
Would you mind doing an explanation of this process of symlinking Proxmox directories to another storage target? I have tried to Google it a bit but I only find real painful scenario's where you have to adjust fstab in single user mode to make sure running daemons don't get screwed up.

As a general addition to this thread, I have now installed Proxmox 5.2 on Kingston consumer SSD's and not seeing quick wear on it with the default settings.

Hi,

fstab has nothing to do with any kind of symlinks.
Of course, there are multiple ways to solve the problem. So how do you do the symlink? Let's say I want to have /tmp on another storage device, would I go about it like this?
  1. Create new /tmp location on new storage
  2. Move data from old /tmp location to new location
  3. Remove old /tmp directory
  4. Create symlink to new location

Of course, there are multiple ways to solve the problem. So how do you do the symlink? Let's say I want to have /tmp on another storage device, would I go about it like this?
  1. Create new /tmp location on new storage
  2. Move data from old /tmp location to new location
  3. Remove old /tmp directory
  4. Create symlink to new location

2. copy old /tmp to new location
3. rename old /tmp to /tmp.old
4. create the symlink
5. reboot

I also create symlinks for /var/log, /var/lib/where-the-rrd-cache-it-is. I also create a swap somewhere in zfs pool.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!