Anormal ram usage

fabienfs

Jun 6, 2021
Hello,

I just installed my Proxmox server.
I have a strange phenomenon. The installation is brand new, I have no VMs started and I have constant ram usage at 18Go.

Would this be normal behavior with ZFS using available ram to cache?
If so, is it quite disturbing because we do not know how to assess the amount of ram actually available to create new VMs

Capture d’écran 2021-06-06 à 22.41.02.png

Thank you for that answer. So, is it not possible in the dashboard to see a total of the ram used by all VM (excluding ZFS cache)?

Thank you for that answer. So, is it not possible in the dashboard to see a total of the ram used by all VM (excluding ZFS cache)?
No, but you could run something like top -n 1 -o RES | grep kvm and sum the kvm processes up. RES is the amount of RAM used by the KVM process running a VM. That is the 6th column of the output. This wont show any LXCs RAM usage.

Or you could run arc_summary to look how much RAM ZFS is using.

And free -h is always usefull to check what the swap is doing, how much is cached and if enough memory is "available". Don't look for "free" RAM, "available" is the important one.

Last edited:
Reactions: fabienfs

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!