Advice on moving from ESXi where to install

notnormalnerd

Dec 2, 2022
Hi,
I appreciate any help as I am trying to move from ESXi to Proxmox but i am confused on the install.
[Background]
I am learning in a home lab and picked up an old Dell server (R520). I am new to ESXi/Proxmox/servers etc

I have 6x 4tb Drives in the server. ESXi is running on a USB thumb drive. The 4tb drives are set up as RAID5 in ESXi.

If I want to move over to Proxmox is it OK to install it on a USB thumb drive and have my server boot from that just like I currently am with ESXi?
I have not read anywhere in the docs that this is OK so I am assuming at this point I must install it on actual drive.

I am guessing if that is the case then I am either going to have to pull one of the 4tb drives and replace with a small SSD or something as there is no point using 4tb to install only Proxmox on.

I did the same thing a few weeks ago. I run my Proxmox installation on a ZFS mirror (SSD). Can be small, like 120 GB. If you want to "save space" I recommend getting USB-to-SATA to be able to use real disks, but through USB. Don't know if it's recommended, but it worked for the past 5 years on my TrueNAS server (which now is replaced by Proxmox).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!