Advice in filesystem and RAIDz1

nightcom

Apr 25, 2019
Hi all!
After couple of years using QNAP Virtualization solutions I'm jumping on self assembled server with Proxmox. My server hardware is:
- Ryzen 2700
- 32GB RAM (soon expanded to 64)
- Intel 1000/PRO 4 port Server Adapter
- 3x1TB HDD Toshiba
- 2x250GB SSD Patriot Burst

I want to make SSD on separate RAIDz1 and 3xHDD on separate RAIDz1 - I think it's the best solution for now. The file system that I want to use is ZFS (from what I read best performance) but my question is, should I make RAID on Bios level with those 2 SSD's (then normal RAID1 and then filesystem ZFS) or make everything on Proxmox, RAIDz1 and ZFS?

Hi,
I want to make SSD on separate RAIDz1
RaidZ1 needs minimum of 3 disks. I would use Raid1
should I make RAID on Bios level with those 2 SSD's (then normal RAID1 and then filesystem ZFS)
ZFS and external Raid does not work and ends in 98% in some trouble.

Reactions: nightcom
Thanks for advice, I will make as you say, SSD on RAID1 and 3xHDD's on Proxmox RAIDz1 with ZFS

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!