Adding Proxmox VE to 2 networks

Enspist

Jul 16, 2023
Hello All,

I live at home with my parents while I finish school, so I cannot set up my home network as I would prefer, but I am trying to work on my home in any way I can.

I recently set up a pfsense VM on my home lab, and I have successfully gotten it connected to my main PC and an AP so that my phone and laptop can connect to it.

Currently, I have the network connections laid out as such.

Network topology map.jpg

My question is, is it possible to add a connection from the 2.5 GB switch back to the proxmox VE machine so that it can connect to both my home network and the pfsense network I have running?

I already have a motherboard with 2 NICs, and I added a network card with 2 NICs of its own, so I do not have to worry about trying to connect to multiple things on the same NIC.

I know it would be possible to theoretically connect the Proxmox VE machine directly to the 2.5 GB switch and not connect it to my home network at all, but I do not want to do that for redundancy. Knowing myself, I am highly likely to mess something up on my pfsense VM, and I do not want to lose complete access to the server because of my own stupidity.

I have heard of network bonds on proxmox; however, from what I can research, that's used mainly for the same network through 2 NICs in case one fails. I can't find anything about bonding across two completely different networks.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!