Add disk to rpool ZFS

jaj1105

Sep 23, 2019
Good morning,

I want 2 new disk to my raid 1 ZFS rpool, do you know the procedure ?

Best regards,

Joseph

1670581903572.png

How should the end result look like?
In general, to have the same partitiona layout and the possibility to place the bootloader on these new drives, checkout the procedure on how to replace a boot disk: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#_zfs_administration (search for "Changing a failed bootable device").

The only difference should be, that instead of zpool replace, you want to run zpool add. How excatly, depends on what the pool should look like in the end.
If you want to test the procedure first, I can highly recommend installing a virtual test PVE with a similar disk layout and go through it there first, before you do it on the real system. If things don't work out as expected in the test system, you can roll back to a previously created snapshot and try again :)

Thanks for your hel, I make this command and the result is a new 'pool' named logs :confused:
Do you know why ?

best regards
1670865453910.png

Thanks for your hel, I make this command and the result is a new 'pool' named logs :confused:
Do you know why ?
Thats not a pool, but two log vdevs. And with the "logs" in your command it will add those two disks as SLOGs. So remove those SLOG disks again and add them as a new mirror.

1.) remove SLOG disks: rpool remove sda, rpool remove sdb zpool remove rpool sda, zpool remove rpool sdb
2.) find out what the IDs of those sda and sdb disks are: ls -la /dev/disk/by-id
3.) add them as a new mirror: zpool add -f rpool mirror /dev/disk/by-id/YourFirstNewDisk /dev/disk/by-id/YourSecondNewDisk

Last edited:
Thats not a pool, but two log vdevs. And with the "logs" in your command it will add those two disks as SLOGs. So remove those SLOG disks again and add them as a new mirror.

1.) remove SLOG disks: rpool remove sda, rpool remove sdb
2.) find out what the IDs of those sda and sdb disks are: ls -la /dev/disk/by-id
3.) add them as a new mirror: zpool add -f rpool mirror /dev/disk/by-id/YourFirstNewDisk /dev/disk/by-id/YourSecondNewDisk
I have this return for the first command (-bash: rpool: command not found)
Is it zpool ?
Thanks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!