Add a PBS 1.1 datastore to a PBS 2.2

dominix

Jan 10, 2012
GMT -10
Hi everyone, May I add a 1.1 datastore to a 2.2 PBS ?
I am search for some migration pattern from a proxmox to another (both use PBS for backup but on different version)

what do you mean exactly? mounting and adding the datastore from an old installation to a new one? should work, AFAIR there is nothing that changed in the structure of the datstores
you can also do a sync from 1.1 to 2.2 if you mean that...

HI dcsapak, thank for your informations.

I have a PBS 1.1 with datastore on a NAS/NFS PBS1.1
What I'v tried to do is to attach (add) this NFS/PBS1.1 to a PBS2.2 that can see it.
But when doing this I got an error :
Code:
unable to create chunk store 'PBS1' subdir "/mnt/pve/MOXNFS/PBS/.chunks" - EEXIST: File exists

if it were possible I would keep the datastore PBS1.1 as it had enough space to provide backup.

Last edited:
I am search for some migration pattern from a proxmox to another (both use PBS for backup but on different version)
What I'v tried to do is to attach (add) this NFS/PBS1.1 to a PBS2.2 that can see it.
if it were possible I would keep the datastore PBS1.1 as it had enough space to provide backup.

I think, you should specify more what your environment (PVE and PBS) actually looks like and what you exactly want to achieve.

From your statements above, there are different possible scenarios you are trying to achieve that I can think of, but it is not really clear what exactly the goal is; at least for me.

@dominix you don't need to create a new datastore, just add an entry to /etc/proxmox-backup/datastore.cfg (or, create a new datastore with a different path, then modify the config file to point at your existing datastore and restart the PBS services).

So is the scenario of having two different PBS running (permanently) on the same datastore unproblematic and safe?

huh? no, a datastore must always only be accessed by a single PBS instance..

That's what I suspected, but if I understand @dominix correct, he wants to access permanently (?) the same datastore, which resides on a NAS via an NFS-share, from two different PBSs.

Maybe I simply understand it wrong. Sorry for the noise then.

having multiple datastores each accessed by different PBS but backed by the same storage is fine (although maybe a bit of a weird setup ;)), but accessing a single datastore on multiple systems is not - all the locking and mutual exclusion handling would not work, which means a high chance of corrupting or losing data.

Reactions: dominix and Neobin
That's what I suspected, but if I understand @dominix correct, he wants to access permanently (?) the same datastore, which resides on a NAS via an NFS-share, from two different PBSs.

Maybe I simply understand it wrong. Sorry for the noise then.
you got it right ! :)

OK, I don't knew that.
So I will stop definitively PBS1 , then modify /etc/proxmox-backup/datastore.cfg on PBS2 and restart services.
It looks to me that this is the way to go, My PBS2.2 is able to see and use my NFS datastore created with pbs1.1.
thanks all for your tips and informations.

Reactions: fabian and Neobin

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!