3rd Router as 2nd NIC? Multiple devices as multiple NICs?

NoobyPi

Jul 20, 2020
Hey guys, I'm sure you might get a laugh off this but I'm new, very new and still learning linux and 100 other things at once....can't think its too overwhelming. I know googling won't get these answers, I've spent too much time on that. I already know this is a stupid question but what if I'm onto something? or the method I'm looking for is called something different for me to research about it? anything helps, if anything I hope 1 physical nic would work for now.

Can multiple devices connected be used as 2nd nic? or multiple routers with vlans created within the router settings as nics?

Connecting Router3 wan to laptops only nic. Router3 Lan1 to Router2 Lan1 and Router3 Lan2 to Router1 lan1. What happens when you connect Router3 Lan3 to Router3 Lan4, would that add a NIC to be used also? Just redirects back to regonized as a extra NIC? Isolating Lan ports or bridging etc even do anything?

Making a vlan from another router or from them all or within then using it as nics?

My last question is the the subscription. Really confused about it, is it a server being rented and the server is acting as the 1 cpu? or is it j ust 1 host device aka my laptop and pc with a sub? I wanted to make a cluster too with raspberry pis, that'll be waste of money wouldn't it

This week might make an adapter from spare parts but this is what I'm working with right now. Also what hardware is recommended to have? My budget is 2k, thats mostly the server itself, and a switch, 2 network interfaces enough?

I don't really understand what you try to accomplish.

Can you explain what you got (hardware and such) and what you want to achieve?

My last question is the the subscription. Really confused about it, is it a server being rented and the server is acting as the 1 cpu? or is it j ust 1 host device aka my laptop and pc with a sub?
With the subscription you get access to the enterprise repository which hosts the best tested updates. Higher subscription levels get you access to our enterprise support.

You can always use all the features of Proxmox VE, no matter if you have a subscription or not.

I wanted to make a cluster too with raspberry pis, that'll be waste of money wouldn't it
Proxmox VE is purely x86_64 and does not work on ARM and therefore won't work on Raspberry Pis.

Well I started digging found some old nics to start off. I just wanted to know if it was possible to use router as a nic physically without vlan somehow...just a stupid question really.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!